Premed 101 Forums

Is it possible

Hello all..I have been reading all these threads about non traditional students and thought I would post something. I am thinking about medicine but not sure what to do. I did a BSc in Chemistry over 10 years ago and my GPA was under 3.0 so I never thought it was possible to even try to go into medicine then. I ended up doing an MBA (3.6 GPA) and have been working since I got it. But every time I`m always thinking about being a doctor. I know that I probably would need to likely do a second undergrad, never really thought about that till reading all these posts. It would have been nice if I`d known about this site way back when I was doing my undergrad think it would have been helpful. But I just wanted to get some feedback here. Haven`t wrote the MCAT either, not sure what it would be like after not studying that material for so long either....

Hello all..I have been reading all these threads about non traditional students and thought I would post something. I am thinking about medicine but not sure what to do. I did a BSc in Chemistry over 10 years ago and my GPA was under 3.0 so I never thought it was possible to even try to go into medicine then. I ended up doing an MBA (3.6 GPA) and have been working since I got it. But every time I`m always thinking about being a doctor. I know that I probably would need to likely do a second undergrad, never really thought about that till reading all these posts. It would have been nice if I`d known about this site way back when I was doing my undergrad think it would have been helpful. But I just wanted to get some feedback here. Haven`t wrote the MCAT either, not sure what it would be like after not studying that material for so long either....

I think your situation would demand a second degree. Your prereqs are fairly old, but more importantly, are far from competitive. That being said, if you do well in your second degree and do well on the MCAT, I'm pretty sure you'll have a really good shot at interviews. You did well on your MBA, AND you have life experience. Weave that story the right way, and you have a solid application at your feet.

First, check with the schools you want to go to to see if your prereqs are still acceptable, (they are quite old) and you u.g. gpa is quite low. Check to see if your MBA will count for anything with regards to bonus points for the gpa category. You will probably have to do a second u.g. and do well in that then apply. You have tons of life experience so if you can incorporate that nicely in your application then presto, you have a shot.

Thanks for the responses. I will have to get in touch with the schools that I would be interested in to see if my prerequisites are too old. I think U of C and Mac would be ones that I'm interested in. Not sure what to pursue in a second undergrad though, so I'd have to decide on that. Nursing maybe...I'd like something in health sciences but not sure if I can do to BSc's.

a word of caution with regards to mac, they usually have a fairly large application pool (for a variety of reasons), so it's likely that it will be more competitve to get into. I think a good first step is to read the second degree policies for each school sticky on the forum, from there you can decide as to which school suits you best.

Archived