Premed 101 Forums

Biochem prerequisities

Has anyone heard of any flexibilities in UMan's biochem prerequisites? The applicant manual says they will assess equivalency, but elsewhere they sound pretty adamant about adhering to the listed prereqs. Just wondering because UBC seemed pretty liberal in the types of courses that would satisfy the prereqs, just wondering if Manitoba would be similar. Thanks

Has anyone heard of any flexibilities in UMan's biochem prerequisites? The applicant manual says they will assess equivalency, but elsewhere they sound pretty adamant about adhering to the listed prereqs. Just wondering because UBC seemed pretty liberal in the types of courses that would satisfy the prereqs, just wondering if Manitoba would be similar. Thanks

Not sure if you've seen this before..

UManitoba will probably adhere to this list:

http://umanitoba.ca/faculties/medicine/alumni/media/Biochemistry_Acceptable_Course_Combination_2011_2012.xls

• 1 month later...
I know they automatically include Biochem prereqs in your aGPA calculation, but is there any issue if you haven't yet completed one of the prereqs (eg. completed BCHEM 1 in year 3 but are registered for BCHEM 2 in year 4)?

If you mean you're going to be taking it this school year, then there shouldn't be a problem.

I'm just looking for some clarification regarding the biochemistry and AGPA calculation.

I have done all 3 Biochemistry courses at U of T( from their list of courses that can be used). Two of these i have done fairly well on and the last not so well.

1.)My question is will they include all three of the Biochem courses or will they only include the two that i list in the pre-req?

There is a bit of confusion b/c elsewhere it is mentioned that all biochem courses are included are in the AGPA calculations( so even if it is a low score it will be included.)

2.) Also previous U of T students who have applied:

BCHEM 310H (or 210H) INTRODUCTORY BIOCHEMISTRY

CSB 349 EUKARYOTIC MOLECULAR BIOLOGY (formerly JLM 349 or BIO 349)

BCHEM 370H LAB IN BIOCHEMICAL TECHNIQUES

what is BCH310 ? Do they mean BCH311? if so BCH210 and BCH311 can these satisfy the 6hrs of BCH requirement?

There is no such course as BCH310?

http://www.biochemistry.utoronto.ca/undergraduates/courses/

I'm just looking for some clarification regarding the biochemistry and AGPA calculation.

I have done all 3 Biochemistry courses at U of T( from their list of courses that can be used). Two of these i have done fairly well on and the last not so well.

1.)My question is will they include all three of the Biochem courses or will they only include the two that i list in the pre-req?

There is a bit of confusion b/c elsewhere it is mentioned that all biochem courses are included are in the AGPA calculations( so even if it is a low score it will be included.)

2.) Also previous U of T students who have applied:

BCHEM 310H (or 210H) INTRODUCTORY BIOCHEMISTRY

CSB 349 EUKARYOTIC MOLECULAR BIOLOGY (formerly JLM 349 or BIO 349)

BCHEM 370H LAB IN BIOCHEMICAL TECHNIQUES

what is BCH310 ? Do they mean BCH311? if so BCH210 and BCH311 can these satisfy the 6hrs of BCH requirement?

There is no such course as BCH310?

http://www.biochemistry.utoronto.ca/undergraduates/courses/

1) U of M will include your biochem courses with the highest marks. The other courses can be dropped if necessary. (i.e.Part of your lowest 15-30 credit hours)

2) I'm not from U of T, but Google shows that BCH310 used to be "Introductory Biochemistry" which is now BCH210. Safe to assume those are equivalent.

BCH210H and BCH311H combined is option 10 in the acceptable biochemistry courses table for U of T. Therefore, it may be used to satisfy the requirement

The list has been updated http://umanitoba.ca/faculties/medicine/alumni/media/Acceptable_Biochemistry_Course_Combinations_2012-2013.xlsx

Archived