Premed 101 Forums

Questions about Calgary application!

Okay, so just started filling in my application, I have some questions about the activities section.

1. Should we use the first (I, me, etc.) person in the 250 character section? How about in the Experience Impact? Full sentences or point form for 250 character section?

2. I always see people giving advice on this forum about how the way you word your app can make you or break you. I am assuming this is only in reference to the Experience Impact statements? You can't really do much for yourself in 250 words or less.

3. Not related to the activities section, but is the MCAT verification/receipt of transcripts kinda slow? Cause in my UAlberta app, MCAT was verified within a couple days. Not so for Calgary.

4. Don't wanna make a new thread, so I'll go out on a limb here and assume that some of those applying to Calgary are also applying to Alberta. There are no Experience Impact statements on the Alberta app, so how do you make the most of your 250 characters? You can't really do much besides explain the basics of the activity. So the way you word your app can't have a huge effect, can it?

Hopefully some of you can help me out here, I'm a first time applicant! Thanks in advance :D

I can tell you what I'm doing as a first time applicant. I try to avoid using "I", or "me", I just manipulate my sentence to avoid using them. I have been using sentence form and yes it does limit what you can put in there but it comes across as more professional. I'm not sure if this is right but this is what I've done. I can't help you much with Alberta app as I'm not applying there. Best of luck!

I have been using point form and abbreviations, I am trying to fit as much in a small space as possible. I have been putting a lot of effort into the wording of my activities, I think it is very important.

U of A's 350 characters is very generous compared to UBC's 250 and OMSAS's 150.

It has taken a really long time, but I find that the work that I put into one application helps out a lot with the other applications.

Good luck!

hopefully someone can help me out here: so i understand calgary requires you to enter in one set of mcat scores which I have done but when I try to go to AAMC to request for THx to send the most recent mcat score (my best one), it doesn't seem to give me that option. So, it seems that I have to send my previous mcat scores as well....is this the case for people who've the written the MCAT more than once?

Hi Cass,

Yes, AAMC will only allow you to send ALL scores. However, this isn't a problem. The U of C admissions team will look through all your previous scores and verify the one that you noted on your application. The reviewers only see the MCAT score verified by the admissions team.

I hope this helps!

Hi Cass,

Yes, AAMC will only allow you to send ALL scores. However, this isn't a problem. The U of C admissions team will look through all your previous scores and verify the one that you noted on your application. The reviewers only see the MCAT score verified by the admissions team.

I hope this helps!

Oh i see! Thanks for the clarification! Are you a current applicant as well or a med student at U of C?

Archived