Premed 101 Forums

Mature Student and EC

Hi,

I was wondering if I could get some opinions. I always wanted to do med, but life got in the way, and pushed me off track slightly. I'm now looking at applying in the next couple of years, and working on getting everything in order. I have two under grad degrees already (science and then commerce) with my GPA being 8.4 (out of 9 - yes, I'm that old ;) ) and then 3.85 (out of 4) respectively. I am currently studying for the MCAT, with plans to write in the new year. I've been working the last few years, for a few different companies, in the business side of the science field. I also have my own business, that I run in addition to working full time. Also, I have a family, two small children (an a very supportive husband).

I'm worried about EC. I don't have a lot of really current volunteer type things, and as much as I hate to say it, I don't have the time to go and start volunteering in a hospital for example. My evenings are weekends are filled with kids swimming lessons, or dance classes. For some of the older non-traditional applicants, specifically those with families, what did you do for your EC section of your application?

Thanks!

Good for you for following your dreams. As with many of us non-trads its realizing that where we are at in life isnt exactly how we envisioned our careers to pan out.

I dont have kids to comment on your situation from experience but I will give you my educated guess. Most med schools are not looking for cookie cutter applicants with "hospital volunteering" and "research lab assistant" positions ... those people are a dime a dozen. Many are looking for well rounded members who are involved in the community. Dont fall for the "do what you think the med school admissions committee would want you to do" gig what you should show on your ECs is who you are. Since your family is important to you, thankfully :) you should have your ECs reflect that .... for example you could volunteer time with the swimming programme, or the dance program (perhaps as a chaperone on trips or swim meets) or sit on the parent-teacher association, become involved in your community for your children's benefit and use it as a way to spend more time with them. Since physicians are viewed as role models in the community demonstrating that you are a positive role model in the community will go a lot further than trying to jump through stereotypical hoops that most 22 year old frenzied pre-meds fall for. They end up doing things they dont enjoy just because they think it looks good on a resume ... thats no way to live life ... do what you think supports your community and spending time with your family while doing it is a big bonus.

I hope that helps despite the fact that I do not have children credentials to have my advice worth more to you:D

Beef

Be as traditional as possible. Find two or three hours a week to volunteer, its not that bad. It will be a good addition to your life and work experience. If you really can't find some time to hospital volunteer then find a physician to shadow a few times. The idea is that you have some actual insight into health care that you can show and use in your interviews. GL

LOL ... we are giving the exact opposite advice ... you saying to try and fit into the traditional applicant mold and me saying 'the hell with it' and do what expresses your interests and who you are ... because I am me and am biased towards my perspectives I like my advice better.

Beef

Archived