Premed 101 Forums

MD/PhD

Guest tim23

Just a few quesitons about MD/PhD:

If I get into the program, can I change my mind about PhD after year 1?

How flexible is the choice of PhD? I'm interested in some areas of medicinal chemistry (not biochemistry) and am unsure if I would find a suitable supervisor, or if the chemistry dept. is even an option since its not a part of medical faculty.

Thanks for any input,

Tim

• 2 months later...
Guest McGill Angel

I'm also very curious about if one is able to drop the PhD. A friend of a friend got into MD PhD and apparently dropped the PhD (she's int eh class of 2008 right now at McGill) so I think it can be done.

Guest medicator007

It is frowned upon.. HIGHLY...but i know of three people in my class who dropped the PhD so it can certainly be done.

I wouldnt say that in my interview though....

Medicator

Guest noncestvrai

Yeah, it can be done, as medicator said...not the best thing. Technically, you need to get in both the MDCM and PhD, so I guess it is possible.

Hmmm McGill Angel, so your friend is dropping the PhD...maybe I should take his/her spot...hmmm, I think I will let some other dedicated soul take the challenge.

noncestvrai

Guest McGill Angel

Hi,

She dropped it before she started her Med 1 year apparently. But, at graduation, she graduated with the highest GPA in Science and got the award at graduation, so I'm sure mcGill med really wanted her in the entering med class for the next year. I could see why it would be frowned upon but it is a big commitment (i mean 7 or 8 years, depending on how long it takes you to finish your project) and then add on the years of residency... anyways, im applying next year for md/PhD so hopefully it will work out. I hear 30 people apply on average and they accept 5. does anyne know if being a quebec resident wil help you out here? How many of those 5 students are quebec residents? thanks :)

Archived