Premed 101 Forums

a few questions about the Sketch

1) What are examples of ìnformal experiences or experiences that people put under ``Other``? I've heard of people putting things like CPR- B and C. Is this a good idea? Should I put things like National Lifeguard Training or Bronze Cross and Medallion?

2) Does it look better to have more verifiers? i.e. should I just put down my high school principal for 10 activities or put down each individual teacher involved in each club/activity?

3) Does the title of the verifier matter? For instance if I put down the PI of the lab I work at versus the post-doc whom I work directly under does that look more impressive? From what I gather, its not like they call every single verifier. So then is it better to put people with more impressive titles?

4) What do people put as the time period for awards? For certain high school awards, they are given out based on your overall grade 12 performance, so would I just put down 1 year (sept- jun)? Or for certain scholarships I began the application 3 months in advance so would I just put the time period as three months or would I include the time I had to wait before hearing whether I got it or not (another month or so)? Also for scholarships technically the activities I listed are things I've done since the beginning of high school, so then should the time period be grades 11-12 or is this too long?

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance :)

See bold below.

1) What are examples of ìnformal experiences or experiences that people put under ``Other``? I've heard of people putting things like CPR- B and C. Is this a good idea? Should I put things like National Lifeguard Training or Bronze Cross and Medallion?

YES However, CPR & Lifeguard training can be put under Formal Education.

2) Does it look better to have more verifiers? i.e. should I just put down my high school principal for 10 activities or put down each individual teacher involved in each club/activity?

K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Stupid

3) Does the title of the verifier matter? For instance if I put down the PI of the lab I work at versus the post-doc whom I work directly under does that look more impressive? From what I gather, its not like they call every single verifier. So then is it better to put people with more impressive titles?

Irrelevant

4) What do people put as the time period for awards? For certain high school awards, they are given out based on your overall grade 12 performance, so would I just put down 1 year (sept- jun)?

Yes

Or for certain scholarships I began the application 3 months in advance so would I just put the time period as three months or would I include the time I had to wait before hearing whether I got it or not (another month or so)?

Put the actual time frame for which the scholaship was given and not the time of the application period.

Also for scholarships technically the activities I listed are things I've done since the beginning of high school, so then should the time period be grades 11-12 or is this too long?

Just be accurate.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance :)

I was also thinking, maybe shadowing would fit under this heading as well

Archived