Premed 101 Forums

US Graduate Schools

Hey guys,

I am thinking what I should do in order to imrpove my chances of getting into medical school and now I am looking into applying for grad programs in US.

I'm not thinking of doing masters just to improve my chances, I have several experiences working on research projects and I am interested in research.

So my questions are:

1) Do all programs in science require GRE in US?

2) How competitive is it to get into... lets say johns hopkins (graduate program in school of medicine: ie dept of physiology, neuroscience etc.) or other schools that are at that level? GPA/marks

3) How much is the tuition? and can Canadians get financial support?

Thanks

Hey guys,

I am thinking what I should do in order to imrpove my chances of getting into medical school and now I am looking into applying for grad programs in US.

I'm not thinking of doing masters just to improve my chances, I have several experiences working on research projects and I am interested in research.

So my questions are:

2) How competitive is it to get into... lets say johns hopkins (graduate program in school of medicine: ie dept of physiology, neuroscience etc.) or other schools that are at that level? GPA/marks

Thanks

I had previously looked into grad schools in the states so I can help out a bit. Concerning your questions:

1) Yes, all programs require the GRE.

2) Getting into a top-tier PhD program is quite competitive. It requires excellent grades and GRE scores, great recommendation letters and research experience.

3) Most programs waive tuition and pay you a stipend once accepted. The top schools certainly do.

Good luck.

Hey guys,

So my questions are:

Thanks

Firstly, don't even think of a masters unless you REALLY like research. Second, a masters wont improve your chances anywhere unless you actually have the degree, so were talking 3 years until you see any remote benefit. Third, where you do your masters means absolutely nothing in Canada. But...here's answers to your questions:

1) pretty much all, if not all require GRE

2) for top programs, I.e. Harvard and johns Hopkins, it can be extremely hard - in many cases, getting into med school in Canada is probably easier. The TOP students in the world go to these programs.

3) a small fortune - funding is sometimes, but rarely available to canadians except for the standard nserc and cihr awards. That would cover about half of tuition. Unless of course you are a TOP student attending a top 10 school. American schools may fund canadians, but given the choice they will prefer to fund americans; thats all there is to it. Either way, youll still owe money at the end of the year. Do the masters in Canada and you owe nothing.

As a side note, most top programs only do PhD.

I could only tell you specifics about physics grad programs in the States, but here is one thing you need to be aware of and look into right away. If you are applying to a program that requires a GRE subject test in addition to or instead of the general GRE, they are only offered 3 times a year (April, October, and November). The general test is computer-based and you can take it any time, though. But grad programs in the States tend to have earlier deadlines, so you might have to take the October test if you are thinking about applying for next year, and the deadline to register is like this week. I don't know about subject tests other than physics, but the physics GRE is ridiculously hard and people spend a year or more studying for it. I spent about 18 months studying for it. The general test, however, is pretty easy. A lot easier than the MCAT. Some people don't even bother studying for it, but it's a good idea to do some practice tests because it's adaptive (ie the questions get harder if you're getting them all right, and easier if you're getting them all wrong), so it's a little weird and you might want to get used to it.

Here are some links:

http://www.ets.org/gre/subject/register/centers_dates

http://www.ets.org/gre/subject/about/

http://www.ets.org/gre/revised_general/about

Archived