Premed 101 Forums

OOP chance at interview?

Just to be clear, what is the Alberta scale exactly? (>85 is a 4.0?) I can't find any definitive answers on the forum (maybe no one knows?).

With the deadline approaching, I need to decide if I even have a shot.

jeebus ur fine.

and yes >85 is a 4.0. Like at any sensible university.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if UofA emphasized more balance in the future, but it seems a brash assumption to me to imply that if UofA makes distribution matter, it will be an increased emphasis on verbal explicitly.

Hm, no it's not really that brash actually... Listening the University of Calgary's podcast on their new admissions process, Dr. Ian Walker talks about how recent research has shown that VR is reasonably well-correlated with performance on medical qualification exams down the road.

BS and PS scores predict 1st and 2nd year med school marks, but not much further.

WS scores have no predictability whatsoever.

Although I guess there needs to be more research into this area, many schools (McMaster, Calgary, etc.) seem to be moving in this direction. If Alberta is planning to change its evaluation of MCAT scores, it's reasonable to guess/assume that they'd move in the same direction.

I have applied last year and got this stat mailed.

max score of those who were offered an interview:

cGPA 4.00, non-academic: 13, mcat: 13.67, Writing: T

Avg score of those who were offered an interview:

cGPA 3.97, non-academic 8.94, mcat: 11.57, Writing: R

OKAY. and last year, mine were cGPA 3.93, non-academic11.00, mcat 8.67, writing:N I was OOP and did not get an interview offer.

NOW i have same the cGPA, should score even higher on the non-acadmic section, rewrote the MCAT last summer and got one score higher overall + writing now is P.

unfortunately SD was not given with the score, and I am not sure how far below I am from the avg. I am debating if I should reapply or not :P

Hm, no it's not really that brash actually... Listening the University of Calgary's podcast on their new admissions process, Dr. Ian Walker talks about how recent research has shown that VR is reasonably well-correlated with performance on medical qualification exams down the road.

BS and PS scores predict 1st and 2nd year med school marks, but not much further.

WS scores have no predictability whatsoever.

Although I guess there needs to be more research into this area, many schools (McMaster, Calgary, etc.) seem to be moving in this direction. If Alberta is planning to change its evaluation of MCAT scores, it's reasonable to guess/assume that they'd move in the same direction.

I'm aware of the "trend" set by Mac and Calgary lately, but that doesn't mean UofA will necessarily jump on the bandwagon if they decide to change anything. There's a difference between saying that a potentiality is likely and saying that it is the only one that may occur.

OKAY. and last year, mine were cGPA 3.93, non-academic11.00, mcat 8.67, writing:N I was OOP and did not get an interview offer.

NOW i have same the cGPA, should score even higher on the non-acadmic section, rewrote the MCAT last summer and got one score higher overall + writing now is P.

unfortunately SD was not given with the score, and I am not sure how far below I am from the avg. I am debating if I should reapply or not :P

Are you a 4th year this year? If so, your lowest year will be dropped and that should bring up your GPA a bit, in which case I'd apply if I were you. If not, I'm not really sure, you're pretty borderline I'd say.

Archived