Premed 101 Forums

OOP chance at interview?

Do I have a chance at even getting an interview at UofA? as an OOP

GPA 3.75 (taking off lowest year)

MCAT 31P (does UofA value any specific category?)

BSc + MSc

Lots of EC (biomedical and clinical research, 5 publications, sports, student government, 3 clinical volunteer organizations, traveling, etc)

THANKS!

• 3 weeks later...

I only recently found out Alberta has a medical school and just decided to apply.

Please tell me how my chances are:

fourth year student. OMSAS cGPA 3.98, Albertan cGPA 4.00

research: 5 publications (2 papers, 3 abstracts), 1 oral poster in conference

Best MCAT: 12/9/11/Q (9VR)

EC's: president of 2 clubs, exec on another. Lot's of volunteering in hospital, food banks, clinical shadowing etc.

• 2 weeks later...
Do I have a chance at even getting an interview at UofA? as an OOP

GPA 3.75 (taking off lowest year)

MCAT 31P (does UofA value any specific category?)

BSc + MSc

Lots of EC (biomedical and clinical research, 5 publications, sports, student government, 3 clinical volunteer organizations, traveling, etc)

THANKS!

No [[it's the GPA, sorry]]

How about a 36S and 3.99 best 2 year, 3.92 overall? EC's i believe are ok, but nothing special. I'm trying to decide whether or not I should take another english and a second physics this year to be able to apply.

Yes

I only recently found out Alberta has a medical school and just decided to apply.

Please tell me how my chances are:

fourth year student. OMSAS cGPA 3.98, Albertan cGPA 4.00

research: 5 publications (2 papers, 3 abstracts), 1 oral poster in conference

Best MCAT: 12/9/11/Q (9VR)

EC's: president of 2 clubs, exec on another. Lot's of volunteering in hospital, food banks, clinical shadowing etc.

Yes

Anyone else?

Hi I'm asking for a friend:

13/8/14/Q

4.00 GPA

3rd year

Should be fine. I don't think U of A looks at individual sections of MCAT, and the total score and GPA look good even for a third year.

OOP (Ontario)

GPA: 3.64

MCAT: 34R --> 10/14/10 (14 in Verbal)

Lots of ECs and research experience and publications

Thanks!

GPA is too low for OOP, sorry [is that your two best years? cuz that's what is considered]

OOP (ontario)

cGPA (OMSAS scale w/ lowest year removed): 3.98

MCAT: 12PS/08VR/13BS, S

I've done quite a bit of volunteer work, TAed a few courses, presented research at national/international conferences.

Thanks! =)

YOu are borderline with the MCAT. But have a decent shot, given the GPA and the S.

OOP (ontario)

cGPA (OMSAS scale w/ lowest year removed): 3.98

MCAT: 12PS/08VR/13BS, S

I've done quite a bit of volunteer work, TAed a few courses, presented research at national/international conferences.

Thanks! =)

I'm pretty sure you'd get an interview; MCAT for OOP is usually ~36, but your GPA and writing score should make up for that.

Yeah,

GPA for UofA for OOP should be at least 4.0 or very very close to it

Gonna say this again: I got in (not an interview, but rather, IN) with just above 3.9. [i had a high MCAT though]

YOu are borderline with the MCAT. But have a decent shot, given the GPA and the S.

I agree with this analysis. Until U of A changes their scheme so that verbal means more, I don't think the distribution of your scores matters.

How about 4.00 GPA 30R mcat, really good EC?

Go for it. [for future "I have 4.0 and good EC's but I'm worried about my MCAT" -- go for it. for future "I have 4.0 and 35+ MCAT but I'm worried about my ECs" -- go for it. Chances are good if you have 2 of 3]

OOP with GPA less than 3.8 [alberta scale - best two years and for heavens sakes people stop giving me your OMSAS] probably shouldn't bother though. It's not that Alberta doesn't accept these people. It's that Alberta doesn't accept these people out-of-province. [have you seen the AVERAGE interviewed? it was something like 3.98.]

* I don't speak on behalf of U of A. I should give this disclaimer ahead of time.

Gonna say this again: I got in (not an interview, but rather, IN) with just above 3.9. [i had a high MCAT though]

I agree with this analysis. Until U of A changes their scheme so that verbal means more, I don't think the distribution of your scores matters.

Go for it. [for future "I have 4.0 and good EC's but I'm worried about my MCAT" -- go for it. for future "I have 4.0 and 35+ MCAT but I'm worried about my ECs" -- go for it. Chances are good if you have 2 of 3]

OOP with GPA less than 3.8 [alberta scale - best two years and for heavens sakes people stop giving me your OMSAS] probably shouldn't bother though. It's not that Alberta doesn't accept these people. It's that Alberta doesn't accept these people out-of-province. [have you seen the AVERAGE interviewed? it was something like 3.98.]

* I don't speak on behalf of U of A. I should give this disclaimer ahead of time.

Does Alberta use best two years? From their website it looks like if you've completed 4 years, they drop your LOWEST year only

I wouldn't be at all surprised if UofA emphasized more balance in the future, but it seems a brash assumption to me to imply that if UofA makes distribution matter, it will be an increased emphasis on verbal explicitly.

It's not best two years anymore, they now drop your lowest year if you're 4 year+ (for fourth year applicants only, this actually amounts to the same thing).

oop

omsas w/ lowest dropped: 3.856 (counting A=4.00, it's 3.884)

mcat 10-7-10 P

EC pretty good..

I wouldn't apply, for UofA OOP your GPA and is marginal at best and combined with that MCAT, you'd better have something extraordinary (e.g. olympic medal) to have a shot at interview.

Does Alberta use best two years? From their website it looks like if you've completed 4 years, they drop your LOWEST year only

No you're right. I remember it being my best 2 years, but that's becaues I had applied in fourth year and had 3 years down.

And to future posters: if your MCAT is below 30, don't bother. Seriously.

How about a 36S and 3.99 best 2 year, 3.92 overall? EC's i believe are ok, but nothing special. I'm trying to decide whether or not I should take another english and a second physics this year to be able to apply.

haha I think i'm in the same position as you. (Except your WS is a tad higher than mine :P)

Archived