Premed 101 Forums

Publications?

Peer-reviewed publications go under the academic attributes.

They will multiply your pre-interview score (27.3% AGPA,72.7% MCAT) by a multiplier accounting for your academic attributes.

They will also multiply your final score (15% AGPA, 40% MCAT, 45%MMI) by a co-efficient accounting for your academic attributes.

What if i have a paper submitted for publication but it hasn't been published yet? Can i still include that? (I just wouldn't know what to put in the Volume, page numbers field)

Also, what about poster presentations at conferences? do these go under the peer-reviewed publication section?

• 3 weeks later...
What if i have a paper submitted for publication but it hasn't been published yet? Can i still include that? (I just wouldn't know what to put in the Volume, page numbers field)

Also, what about poster presentations at conferences? do these go under the peer-reviewed publication section?

Any word on this? I am wondering about publications that have been submitted too...

Oops - totally forgot to follow up on this question. I contacted Jody from Admissions and this is what she said:

"Your publications need to have been published by Oct 7 in order for them to be used in this application process". Now, I included them anyways but wrote pending for all the other fields (ie: volume number, page number etc.). If the committee doesn't use them then oh well but I wanted to show that I actually did engage in scientific research and was productive in it.

From another thread.

So it has to be published by next week Friday.

• 10 months later...

any word on what exactly constitutes peer-reviewed publications? like, are they looking for first or second author? or are people just supposed to put down any publication that has been peer-reviewed that they have their name on? what about abstracts vs full papers, etc? or articles they helped out with but aren't a listed author of?

also, has there ever been any insight into how they work with that? i've seen some stuff re: shedding light on the rural coefficient, but didn't see anything really talking about the scoring for academic-type stuff.

thanks!

any word on what exactly constitutes peer-reviewed publications? like, are they looking for first or second author? or are people just supposed to put down any publication that has been peer-reviewed that they have their name on? what about abstracts vs full papers, etc? or articles they helped out with but aren't a listed author of?

also, has there ever been any insight into how they work with that? i've seen some stuff re: shedding light on the rural coefficient, but didn't see anything really talking about the scoring for academic-type stuff.

Hey.

After having a meeting with Heather last week, I was told that basically they just look at journal publications that you are listed as the first or second author. Other publications/posters can be listed, but they're not likely to be approved to count towards your academic coefficient. Always worth a try though, right? If you can ask your P.I. or supervising student if the publication would count as peer-reviewed, that would be best.

As for the actual marking scheme..no idea. If I find anything more out, I'll follow up with another post.

Archived