Premed 101 Forums

Health history

Guest DancingDoc

Guest clinicalchief

This is a grey-area in terms of what you wish to disclose to the school. If you do a search in the general premed forum, you may find a thread similar to this, as this is a pretty universal issue. I guess your decision needs to be based on whether or not you believe the school needs know about your illness/disease. Remember that you are submitting your application under the assumption that it is complete and accurate. At the same time however, there may be things that you may not include because you may not think they are relevant. If you don't have any concerns about your present health, you may choose not to include certain information on your application. This is strictly my opinion ;)

Maybe others can contribute!

cc

I would imagine that they're only interested in chronic illnesses that might affect your ability to practice medicine. Not to discriminate against people with such conditions (as I'm sure there are many qualified physicians with them), but things like bipolar disorder, cystic fibrosis, hepatitis, etc might be relevant to their decision.

If it was something you dealt with and recovered from, I would imagine you could leave it out. But again, checking with the admissions people is the best course of action.

Good luck!

Guest 24medgirl

I just came upon this thread (am from NL now living in Ontario and just applied to Med in Ontario) and thought it was interesting as I have a chronic illness and didn't mention it in my OMSAS application. Actually I think I mentioned it once in my essay, but presented it as a positive thing relating to empathy with patients.

I have Addison's disease, a rare auto-immune disease which affects the adrenal glands. While I was getting diagnosed with it I was really sick and almost died, but now basically I'm pretty good other than some serious fatigue every now and again. I do worry that when I'm in residency I won't get enough sleep and will crash, but I figure I'll deal with that when I get there.

My advice to you is basically what I told myself. If you can go to school or work full-time I'm sure you'll be fine in medical school and as a physician. I work full-time as a Registered Dietitian and do 10-15 hours per week extra of consulting + lots of volunteer and xtra currics and I do great.

Hope this helps! :) Good luck!

Archived