</username>
		<dateline>1118447100</dateline>
		<title>Unknown</title>
		<pagetext>(This

(This post is missing and can not be restored)</pagetext>

</post>

<post>

<thread>Y</thread>

<threadtitle>are there american students in your med school class?</threadtitle>

<threadviews>0</threadviews>

<threadsticky>0</threadsticky>

<poll></poll>

<username>

Anon

</username>

<dateline>1027029180</dateline>

<title>are there american students in your med school class?</title>

<pagetext>This is a question for the current med students. Other than McGill and Memorial, are there other med schools in Canada that accept Americans? I heard a rumor that since Ontario government deregulated its tuition, many Ontario med schools started accepting Americans since they no longer had to be held as accountable for their admissions as before. Is that true?

I also talked to a Queen's med student two years ago when he was a first year. He told me that he was surprised that several Americans who went to Ivy League schools decided to enrol at Queen's for its relatively low tuition. He assured me that those were not Canadians who had gone down to the states for undergrad and were now just coming back. I did not think much of that until I am starting to apply to med school. Is there any truth to it?

Guest aneliz

I can't speak for all of the schools but I know at Western you must be a Canadian citizen or landed immigrant. The international or 'visa' student program has now been suspended at UWO. So, Americans are out of luck at Western....

Guest Carolyn

You can apply to McMaster through the international stream which means that you pay the international amount >$45000 Cdn and can't apply for residency here... This year I think there will be one american and one other international student. Check out the admissions website for more information. I think you need to apply quite early.

Thanks all for the info!

so it seems that only Mac, McGill and Memorial?

how about u of toronto?

I wonder why the Queen's med student told me the "weird" info a couple years ago.

Guest UWOMED2005

It's possible it was speculation as to what "might" happen as they deregulated tuition in Ontario. But at least for UWO (and I think for most of the other schools) you're chances are slim to nil as an international student.

I think the reason for this is the current shortage of doctors in Canada. It's bad enough (for the health care system) having Canadians train in Canada only to move South to practice, I guess they're paranoid that if they opened up spots to international students they'd do the same and take a spot from a Canadian who might be more inclined to stay.

Guest Carolyn

I should clarify that the international students are in a totally separate pool than the canadian spots (i.e. they don't take away any spots from the canadians)...

Guest Carolyn

No it is NOT NIL for Mac... please reread my post - americans would fit in the international stream.... I then posted for the sake of canadians that these spots are above and beyond the ones saved for Canadians... that is why the class numbers fluctuate a little each year - 10 spots are saved for international students - they have never been filled fully as the admissions committee ensures that these students are of the same level of the Canadian accepted students.

So you should definitely apply if you are interested.

Guest UWOMED2005

We do have one student classified as "international" in the 2005 class. . . but I think there is some technicality such as her parents moved her or she lived in Canada for some time. Not sure - feel free to check out the details.

• 2 years later...
Guest Unknown

</username>
		<dateline>1118447160</dateline>
		<title>Unknown</title>
		<pagetext>(This

</post>

<threads>

<post>

<thread>Y</thread>

<threadtitle>Which Job?</threadtitle>

<poll></poll>

<username>

overlyconcerned

</username>

<dateline>1027703700</dateline>

<title>Which Job?</title>

<pagetext>I'm hoping for some sage advice....

I'm applying this year and am currently looking for work since I just finished my B.Sc. THe way things are working out I might end up having to choose between work as a medical science research assistant and a job in business admin. All other factors being equal (which, of course, they're not, but that's another discussion) would spending a year doing research (without much chance of publishing) look significantlly better to an adcom than a year in a job completely unrelated to medicine?

Maybe it's dumb to worry about this sort of thing when there are so many other factors to consider, but I find myself feeling as though I should be thinking ahead in terms of improving my CV. Medicine is definitely what I want to do - even if I take the job in business, it's really not where I want to be in the long run.

Thanks for keeping this board so interesting and helpful and thanks in advance for any advice you can offer me!

Guest Unknown

</username>
		<title>Unknown</title>
		<pagetext>(This

</post>

<post>

<thread>N</thread>

<poll></poll>

<username>

Unknown

</username>

<title>Unknown</title>

<pagetext>(This post is missing and can not be restored)

Guest Unknown

</username>
		<title>Unknown</title>
		<pagetext>(This

</post>

<post>

<thread>N</thread>

<poll></poll>

<username>

Unknown

</username>

<title>Unknown</title>

Guest Unknown

</username>
		<title>Unknown</title>
		<pagetext>(This

</post>

<post>

<thread>N</thread>

<poll></poll>

<username>

Unknown

</username>

<title>Unknown</title>

Guest Unknown

</username>
		<title>Unknown</title>
		<pagetext>(This

</post>

<post>

<thread>N</thread>

<poll></poll>

<username>

Unknown

</username>

<title>Unknown</title>

This post is actually continued from the one above, I just want to make sure I get some responses.

My situtation is that I'm 25 yrs. old. I completed a 5yr. undergrad one year ago. I worked out of my home for the past year. I intended to write the mcat and keep applying to medical school while I continued in the working world and found a decent job.

My undergrad average was pretty poor, but I managed to average low 80's in my last two years. After calculating my gpa on the omsas scale just a few weeks ago, I found out that my average was 3.54, just below the cutoff for Queens (3.57, where I wanted to apply).

Now I'm faced with the fact that, mcats aside, I probably have to go back to school to get the grades I want to be eligible for an interview. My problem is that I feel like I've wasted alot of time and I really need to make some more money to finish paying my loans. I also am not 100% sure that I would be happiest in medicine. Not for lack of exposure to the healthcare industry (I've worked 5yrs in hospitals, clinics, nursing homes, etc.), but mostly for my lack of exposure to business. Maybe there is something out there that i would love much more. I really have no idea.

If I wait until next year to go back to school (assuming the gpa cutoffs do not change), then the earliest I could attend medical school would be when I'm 28. I feel like this is kind of old, but I really don't want to end up in medical and then decide that I'd rather be doing something else. I just wonder if taking a year to "sort things out at this point is wasting time. I'd appreciate some of your views on this matter. It's a constant battle in my head.

Thanks,

Matt.

Guest Unknown

</username>
		<title>Unknown</title>
		<pagetext>(This

</post>

<post>

<thread>Y</thread>

<threadtitle>Awesome job at hospital in Vancouver!</threadtitle>

<poll></poll>

<username>

Squirrelgirl

</username>

<dateline>1027459020</dateline>

<title>Awesome job at hospital in Vancouver!</title>

<pagetext>Hi Everyone! Since I wil be attending medical school this fall, we need to find someone ASAP to fill my position at BC Children' & Women's Hospital. The following job description will be officially posted on the UBC website next week (Monday, July 29). We will also be posting for a Research Technician 2 to help with this study. Here's the web address:

www.hr.ubc.ca/postings/index.html

There is information on the website about how to apply.

FYI - My education background (BSc. Microbiology) was quite different from the description below so don't let that deter you from applying. As long as you have the general skills described you can learn the science behind the research.

Good luck!

POSITION DESCRIPTION

University of British Columbia

1.TITLE:                               

Clinical Research Co-ordinator – RA3

FACULTY: Medicine

DEPARTMENT: Paediatrics

CENTRE:        British Columbia Research Institute for Children’s & Women’s Health, Centre for Community Child Health Research (CCCHR)       

2. PROJECT SUMMARY

The focus of the Biobehavioral Research Unit (BRU) is multidisciplinary investigations utilizing data generated by the acquisition of behavioural, physiological and hormonal measures including video-recording, computerized physiological signal recording, as well as developmental assessment and parent questionnaires. The Biobehavioural Lab conducts research studies of infants and children whose growth and development may be complicated by factors to which they were exposed before and/or after their births. The Research Coordinator will assist with varied research activities in several ongoing projects.

3. ORGANIZATIONAL STATUS

The Research Assistant will interact with the Principal Investigator (Dr. Tim Oberlander). He/she will interact directly with the Research Coordinator, High Risk Programme Colleen Fitzgerald, and the other members of the research team including post-doctoral fellows, graduate students, research assistants, and staff from the Centre for Community Child Health Research.

4. WORK PERFORMED       

4.1 Supervisory

- Supervise and provide leadership to study research technician

- Educate hospital staff to the goals of the study

4.4 Conducting Clinical Trials

- Clinical management of study programmes in accordance with individual unit policies and procedures

- Maintain proper documentation, storage and shipment of study specimens

- Maintain comprehensive data storage of study data

4.5 Patient Care Responsibilities

- Responsible for patient enrolment and procedures performed by the research coordinator

- Teach and counsel study participants regarding accepted study procedures

- Report and document adverse reactions/events to Clinical Research Coordinator

4.6 Data Management

- Management of research databases in Access

- Accurate and timely collection of patient data

- Maintain quality of data collection and input

-

4.7 Communications

- Provide liaison between Biobehavioural Unit Co-directors and multi site physicians and allied health professionals

- Provide liaison between Biobehavioural Unit Co-directors and Research Institutes, UBC and multiple C&W departments

- Arrange bimonthly research meetings and prepare meeting agendas

- Maintain communication records of all collaborative activities

- Prepare presentation materials (slides, posters, training seminars)

- Update and maintain current Procedures Manual for the study

5.        PROFESSIONAL RESPONSIBILITIES

The incumbent is required to conduct all research activities in an ethical manner, suited to the proper activities of the University of British Columbia and to the professional organizations governing his or herself and those governing the activities of the Co-directors and all other investigators. Any procedures or data recorded as part of a trial must be accurate and must accurately reflect the work performed. Strict confidentiality of all study participants must be adhered to. All activities involving participants are accountable to the Principle Investigator, the Department Head, and the candidate’s governing professional organization.

6.        SUPERVISION RECEIVED

The incumbent will be trained in all aspects of data collection methodologies by personnel experienced in this area. The expectation is that the incumbent will then work independently in collaboration with the High Risk Programme Coordinator, the Co-director, physicians, midwives and allied staff involved in the programme of research. Flexible hours and minimal travel will be required.

7.        SUPERVISION GIVEN

The incumbent will train and supervise members of the research team. The candidate will liaise with staff of other departments who are participating within each programme of research.

8.        WORKING CONDITIONS

The Centre for Community Child Health Research is located at B.C. Children’s Hospital, Shaughnessy Site. The Biobehavioural Unit, located on the third floor of the AL wing, has furnished office space available for the incumbent’s work activities. There are no known hazards.

9.        PERSONNEL SPECIFICATIONS

Education:        Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent experience in social or behavioural sciences.

Experience:        Minimum two years experience in a research environment or equivalent education/experience. Knowledge of research design, implementation and outcome assessment is required. Medium to high degree of computer literacy including familiarity with Microsoft Word, Access and Excel and/or equivalent spreadsheets. Familiarity with database management programs an asset. Clinical and/or research knowledge of perinatology, paediatric and psychiatric medicine is an asset.

Skills and Abilities:

 attentive to detail, with the ability to work quickly and accurately

 organizational and supervisory skills a must

 excellent computer literacy and ability to utilize unique software packages mandatory

 a high degree of motivation, enthusiasm and initiative to focus direction of the research team.

 possess a valid B.C. drivers license

 ability to effectively prioritize tasks and meet deadlines

 communicates effectively both orally and in writing

 ability to learn new software

 ability to work independently

 physical ability to do the job

Guest Unknown

</username>
		<title>Unknown</title>
		<pagetext>(This

</post>

<post>

<thread>N</thread>

<threadtitle>***Some Input Please***</threadtitle>

<poll></poll>

<username>

Unknown

</username>

<title>Unknown</title>

Guest Unknown

</username>
		<title>Unknown</title>
		<pagetext>(This

</post>

<post>

<thread>N</thread>

<threadtitle>***Some Input Please***</threadtitle>

<poll></poll>

<username>

Unknown

</username>

<title>Unknown</title>

Guest Unknown

</username>
		<title>Unknown</title>
		<pagetext>(This

</post>

<post>

<thread>N</thread>

<threadtitle>Awesome job at hospital in Vancouver!</threadtitle>

<poll></poll>

<username>

Unknown

</username>

<title>Unknown</title>

Archived