Premed 101 Forums

Have you just started your masters?

It feels good knowing others are going through that process, hoping to make it to MedSchool. To be honest with you guys, I'm finishing my last year of Kinesiology and will be applying to the UdeM neurosciences' masters' program in February, so I'm not quite there yet. I'm also finishing my science pre-requisites at the same time, so free time has not been felt in a while.

I had a question you guys might be able to answer. Considering my current GPA is not spectacular (3.2), I was wondering if the admission committee would mostly consider my master's degree GPA? In other words, if I get a good GPA through my masters degree, will it be the only one considered?

Thanks!:)

It feels good knowing others are going through that process, hoping to make it to MedSchool. To be honest with you guys, I'm finishing my last year of Kinesiology and will be applying to the UdeM neurosciences' masters' program in February, so I'm not quite there yet. I'm also finishing my science pre-requisites at the same time, so free time has not been felt in a while.

I had a question you guys might be able to answer. Considering my current GPA is not spectacular (3.2), I was wondering if the admission committee would mostly consider my master's degree GPA? In other words, if I get a good GPA through my masters degree, will it be the only one considered?

Depends on the school. UofT for example will. Western won't.

For the record, sometimes Masters degrees just take longer than anticipated. Three years isn't unheard of. I took an extra year to do mine, and ended up with two first author publications and five presentations by the time I finished. I loved grad school, enjoyed my time, and didn't rush my way in to medicine.

Excellent point! It is key to remember that grad school is a time for personal growth and development, the flexible schedule should be treated as a blessing really, a time to try the things you have always wanted to. As you will be busy to the max in med school, chase the bucket list now while you have the freedom to!

Don't rush the process unless you truly want to and enjoy doing it as its better taking longer and having a meaningful worthwhile experience with tangible results at the end than a rushed degree, few references, minimal contribution to the world and a couple thousand dollars sunk mostly into adding a few letters behind your name.

Make sure you understand very clearly what each med school will do with your grad school marks. Having a graduate degree is NO guarantee you wil get in of course. As I am only applying to NOSM I can only comment on that ... however in your case with an undergrad GPA of 3.2, NOSM applies 0.2 to your undegrad mark giving you a total GPA of 3.4 which would still be uncompetitive considering their avg for the entering class is 3.7. So in that scenerio it doesnt help much. So I would make a list of all the med schools that you are interested in and record their graduate school policy ... you could make a chart and figure out what you can expect to happen to your overall mark if you masters GPA was a hypothetical 3.7 ... seeing this in front of you may be helpful.

Good luck.

Beef

• 2 weeks later...

Great to see that there are other people here that are on the same boat as me. Kudos to you guys for your determination for lifelong learning :) Hopefully I am in one of your med classes in 2013 entry.

I just started my MPH at University of Saskatchewan - Class of 2013. I realize schools like Queen's and UofT say that the grad program should be completed by August and July of the year of matriculation, respectively (This makes sense for a Masters defense, I guess - so that you speed things up). Does anyone know how this may work if I have 1 course left that is only offered in August and I really have no control of finishing earlier?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. I'm also pretty new to this forum (although a long time passer-by).

I just started my MPH at University of Saskatchewan - Class of 2013. I realize schools like Queen's and UofT say that the grad program should be completed by August and July of the year of matriculation, respectively (This makes sense for a Masters defense, I guess - so that you speed things up). Does anyone know how this may work if I have 1 course left that is only offered in August and I really have no control of finishing earlier?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. I'm also pretty new to this forum (although a long time passer-by).

I dont think medical schools are known for sympathy in administrative matters such as the scenerio you describe. Of course as many people here suggest when things are grey, call the med schools you are thinking about for the definitive answer, just make sure you get this answer for someone in the know at the med school. But again like I say there is usually no flexibility in such matters because they have to set a cut off somewhere.

For NOSM you must show proof of you masters being conferred by Dec 30th of that application year. So the OMSAS application is obviously due early Oct so you still have a couple of months in some instances but each school is unique in this regard.

Beef

Beef

Excellent point! It is key to remember that grad school is a time for personal growth and development, the flexible schedule should be treated as a blessing really, a time to try the things you have always wanted to. As you will be busy to the max in med school, chase the bucket list now while you have the freedom to!

Don't rush the process unless you truly want to and enjoy doing it as its better taking longer and having a meaningful worthwhile experience with tangible results at the end than a rushed degree, few references, minimal contribution to the world and a couple thousand dollars sunk mostly into adding a few letters behind your name.

You make a nice point, but not necessarily a true point.

I had tons of time in med school. In pre-clerkship, there were some weeks in which I dedicated under 35 hours total to school. I never did grad school, but know many people who did, and many found it INSANELY busy and stressful, I truely know some people who worked over 80hrs every week.

My point is just that you cant really generalize like this.

You make a nice point, but not necessarily a true point.

I had tons of time in med school. In pre-clerkship, there were some weeks in which I dedicated under 35 hours total to school. I never did grad school, but know many people who did, and many found it INSANELY busy and stressful, I truely know some people who worked over 80hrs every week.

My point is just that you cant really generalize like this.

Just curious, I thought you did your masters at U of T or something?

I dont think medical schools are known for sympathy in administrative matters such as the scenerio you describe. Of course as many people here suggest when things are grey, call the med schools you are thinking about for the definitive answer, just make sure you get this answer for someone in the know at the med school. But again like I say there is usually no flexibility in such matters because they have to set a cut off somewhere.

For NOSM you must show proof of you masters being conferred by Dec 30th of that application year. So the OMSAS application is obviously due early Oct so you still have a couple of months in some instances but each school is unique in this regard.

Beef

Beef

I totally know what you mean. I feel like every excuse they have, to reject an applicant, they will execute it to the fullest extent!

Thank you so much for your advice and heads up! I should certainly contact, both my grad program and the med schools to ask what could be done. Currently, NOSM is out of the picture for me (solely based on where I live..although I do want to pursue rural medicine), so I'll hope that the UofT and Queen's situation will go smoothly.

Archived