Premed 101 Forums

Majors

Guest ML

I'm thinking about pursuing a Math or Economics degree at UBC or U of T. However, i'm sorta confused when it comes to how the university system of courses work.

Can I pursue an arts degree and still have enough time to do the science Pre Reqs to get into Med School? If I choose to go into Economics, will I be limited in my choice of courses due to my arts major?

Thanks a lot!

If you look at your program requirements, you'll probably see that you have lots and lots of electives in arts. (Not so sure about economics though. You have to check. Its likely fine as well though.)

You have to take Enlish anyway, so then there's 24 credits to take (at UBC anyway). If you spread this out over 3 or 4 years, that's just less about two science courses a year. So, you do have lots of room.

Just a note: I have no idea how U of T works! Just UBC, so you have to check with someone else for U of T.

Will my major affect my course selection in any way?

Can I take Bio\C&M BIO\Chem\orgo chem\biochem\phys

if I am pursuing an arts degree, without resorting to 6\7 course semesters?????

Thanks

See, you usually have a few electives each year. Just fill them with sciences classes instead of arts. You'll likely have room to spare.

This is how its generally done:

First year: bio, general chem, phys

Second year: organic chem, a little biochem

Third year: a little more biochem

You might just have a problem in first year because there's so many first year science classes (bio, phys and chem). You can always push one of these classes into the summer. Or just take phys (since you probably won't take any higher level phys) in year 3 or 4, depending on when you want to take the MCAT.

I know a few Arts people who are premed, so it can be done. I was almost an Arts premed (changed over to Science in second year) and I had my entire degree planned out. I was just fine!

Guest gucio93

Hi there!

I believe the answer to your questions depends largely on what courses are required by the program you are considering and how many electives are available in that program. If there's lots of electives, and there are few restrictions (i.e. 5 electives from the Faculty of Arts) you most likely will be able to take the prerequesits during your normal course of study. However, I would strongly advise you to check out the school calendar (more than likely you'll be able to find it on-line on the school's website) to find out exactly what courses you must take to earn the degree. Take care.

Does anyone know where the number of electives allowed is stated on either UT or UBC's website????

This is EXACTLY what U of T says about the economics major program--UBC's requirements for an Econ Major is also very similar.....something like 8 or 9 full courses....

so.....does that mean that I could do 13 FULL science courses over 4 years, as long as I finish my 7 courses for econ, and still get the degree?? or does the faculty of Arts or Science limit the number of electives you're allowed to have in another faculty???????

Major program (B.A.):

(7 full courses or their equivalent)

First Year:

ECO 100Y/105Y; MAT 133Y/135Y/137Y

Higher Years:

1. ECO 200Y/206Y, 202Y/208Y, ECO 220Y/227Y/STA (250H, 255H)/(257H, 261H)

2. Two additional 300+ series ECO courses, no more than one of which may be a course in Economic History

NOTE: MGT 310Y qualifies as a 300-series ECO course

Thanks to everyone for all their help! I really appreciate it!

• 2 weeks later...

I am a student in my final year of high school. I am trying to decide whether I should go into a Health science program or Science program.

I am seriously considering McMaster's health science program... It sounds great...

does anyone know if the workload in this program is heavy? or are they the same for all programs?

• 3 weeks later...
Guest SmileyKitty

I am in that programme (McMaster's Health Science Programme). It's a great programme, and you get to meet everyone in your class. The course load is tough but you get a lot of electives with choose from and you get to take courses like anatomy (working with cadavers) in second year! Health Psychology is another course you get. A diverse selection of classes that are health-oriented. You also learn problem-based learning which will help you be successful for McMaster's medical school or any other med school. So if you can get in, I'd say GO FOR IT! The class has amazing students who are also amazing people. It sounds biased, but I'm just telling the truth. Also because the programme is small you get to know the professors really well, and most of them you can talk to on a first name basis. Imagine that! They know you, and you know them. So like I mentioned before, GO FOR IT!

Guest macyear3

Hi there SmileyKitty

I have seen your posts in the other threads and although your enthusiasm for the Bachelor of Health Sciences program at Mac is commended, I think you are not seeing the big picture. You are correct in understanding that Medical schools require diversity, and it is for that very reason that very few BHSC graduates will get into Mac's program. I believe the target is set at 7. So that is 7 out 100+ grads from that program. (Trust me on this I've been one of the student reviewers on the application commitee for the past 2 years). It is for this reason that you may actually limit your chances for getting into medicine (at MAC anayways). To be very honest with you, when we fill out the initial evaluations, everyone says it's like watching the same boring movie over and over and over again: Biology major, GPA 3.8, Hospital volunteer, Int'l volunteer internship, played on school team, worked in lab. When you have seen this literally 600-800 times you start to lose interest. This will also be the result of viewing 100+ applications from the Bhsc program. To be honest with you the appropriate advice is to take a subject that really seems interesting to YOU and say to yourself I want to apply myself to this subject and get involved in it with the assumption that I will never see this area of study again. These make truly outstanding candidates who bring a lot to the class. After reading about the 578th Bio applicant described above, I came across a Poli Sci major who actually was instrumental in changing over 10 legislations in Ontario. He also worked as a campaign manager during his summers and wrote two published papers on political intervention and soultions for health care. When I showed the others on the admission panel they were jumping for joy at this "interesting candidate". Never volunteered at a hospital, never set foot inside a lab but rather explored his interests.

So Kittiekat your Bhsc program is a good introduction to problem based learning, however it is not by any means a ticket into the MD program, nor is it comparable in any way to the worload or level of difficulty of the MD program. To advise students to rush out for the Bsch program in the hopes of securing a place in medical school is extremely misleading.

Good luck to everyone, There are days when I wonder why we fought this hard to get into this hell but nearing the end I can say it has been worth it!

I have posted this elsewhere under Smileykitty's other comments where it may bemore relevant. I just don't want people to be misinformed!

Guest Sabrina

Hi there,

I'm a first year life science student at the UfT and I thought I might be able to help you out a bit with your question regarding your major. At UfT you are able to persue two majors simulateneously, this implies that you can persue eco and your prerequesite courses for med as well. The only necessity is that you complete 20 credits by the time you graduate in order to obtain a Bachelor. At UfT business and science are separated. Although, at times it can be a hassle if you are a bussiness student trying to get into a science course since most are reserved for the student in sciences. So my best suggestion is to do a double major, one for business (ie. eco) and another science (ie. bio, chem, physic, neurology.etc). To complete a science major at UfT you are required to fullfil 8 courses, and I believe this is also applicable to the requirement for a business major (you can always check the UfT site http://www.utoronto.ca to clarify); this would still leave you with 4 credits, two of which are required courses, one for social science and the other humanities (ofcourse if you are already taking bussiness, than this means you are only required to take a humantities). I hopes this help and best of luck in your endevour.

Archived