Premed 101 Forums

9 verbal!

Caliver

I have been searching for a while but I have been getting the same negative information that 9VR doesn't cut for top American schools. Is there a possibility that GPA compensates for low VR? My composite MCAT score is 36.. though my verbal is a bit low.

Thank you!

A lop sided MCAT score in one section is not ideal but a total score of 36 may pleasantly surprise you with interviews at places you didn't expect.

You won't know though unless you apply.

A lop sided MCAT score in one section is not ideal but a total score of 36 may pleasantly surprise you with interviews at places you didn't expect.

You won't know though unless you apply.

My understanding is that it's the composite score. I have VR8 PS12 BS11 WSR

That being said, too low of a VR, like 6, is probably bad

An 8 in verbal may make it tough in the states but in Canada with a solid MCAT composite, GPA and ECs that are several interview opportunities. If you want any more info about this PM me.

I m not sure about the states,but Canadian schools definitely put more emphasis on individual scores than the composite( queens,western,u of t,Calgary), getting an extremely high is useless for these schools without balanced sub set scores. I think the states are more lenient as they have a more holistic approach.

Hey everyone,

I have been getting a few PMs about this so I thought I would share some insight. An 8/9 in verbal obviously is not optimal and will make it tougher to get into medical school. Are you doomed though, not at all. If you look at the schools in Canada, there are some options in Ontario and Out of Province. In the states, there is a holistic approach but being Canadian with an 8/9 will make it a little tougher. However, if you apply early and broadly you do stand a chance at mid-tier schools and at DO schools as well. If you guys have any specific queries feel free to PM.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived