Premed 101 Forums

conferences!

hi guys

i am a grad student just starting my second year and applying to med. i have no conferences under my belt yet because i have not had the opportunity to hand in an abstract due to lack of results at this point. i am really hoping for admission to U of T, so i am wondering if attending a conference, without presenting anything, is worthwhile to put on my grad package for UT? has anyone done this?

You should seek out other answers from mine because I'm only one biased opinion in favor of graduate student productivity, but I think UofT would not care at all whether you attended a conference or not. It's the publications and abstracts that count as a grad applicant and those who you are applying against will have many. To me, it comes off as an attempted substitute for research productivity, which you said yourself it is, and I don't think the admissions committees will look favorably towards it. That said, they probably won't look negatively towards it, so I guess it's better than nothing...

Archived