Premed 101 Forums

Weight of MCAT in admissions

Guest eg77

Hello,

I'm currently filling out the MUN application and I'm second guessing if I have a chance. My GPA is around 3.72 (not sure what % that is...I think around mid-80s). However, My MCAT scores are pretty @#%$ (Mid 20s...I messed up in verbal but I got a Q in WS). Moreover, I'm an out-of province applicant but I have some friends and family in Newfoundlandand I've heard awesome stuff about the program!

I'm wondering how much emphasis does the Admissions committee place on MCAT scores and when do they come into effect? Will they even look at my extracuriculars or just discard my application because my verbal score is bad?

I like to believe I have a lot to offer with my volunteer experience and emploment history: Volunteer with Iraqi refugees in Jordan, missionary hospitals in Pakistan, instructed chemistry labs during university, 2x NSERC research grants, Health Care aide for parapalegic young man, work with Autistic boy, current human embryonic stem cell research, and several other community involvment and extracuric.

I'm simply listing some activities just to get your guys' thoughts if I have a chance at least for an interview . I don't know if the MCAT beast will be a serious obstacle in fulfilling my goals and dreams.

Thanks in advance for your reponses.

Guest leafs123

I think the best people to ask would be the admissions people at MUN Medical. They are very good in responding promptly and can probably tell you if it is worth it.

I think what you really want to hear is that the process is holistic (sort of like UofT) where they will consider everything including experiences, references, etc.

Just copy your email and senut it as is and see what they have to say. Here is the email ... munmed@mun.ca.

leafs123

Thanks leafs for the good pointers. I didn't know that U of T looks at the applicant holistically. I thought they had a pretty strict MCAT cut-off where an applicant isn't considered if he/she falls below it. I didn't apply there because of that. MUN doen't have strict MCAT cutoffs and that's why I wasn't sure how they exactly assess the scores. Anyways, I'm planning to call the office tomorrow and I'll hopefully ask them about this. Any other thoughts on this?

Guest QuestionMan23213

Hey eg77,

i am in a very similar situation. I am still waiting for my mcat scores tho it was my second write and I dont think i did extremely well, though you never know. my gpa is pretty good and i have a lot of extra currics including volunteer work abroad as well. i was just wondering what the admissions office toldyou regarding mcat weighting for OOP applicants, and whether assessment is indeed holistic or not?

Thanks for your help,

QM

I am not sure about OOP students but there doesn't seem to be strict MCAT regulations for people from here. I've heard of people getting in with 24's after acing the interview.

Archived