Premed 101 Forums

abstract submissions/presentations

anon1234

hello

i am wondering if someone who has presented an abstract would be able to help me.....do you have to have your final study results to present an abstract, or do people mention "expected results" in an abstract/oral presentation and still get accepted to present at a conference? i have some preliminary results but nothing final just yet, so i am wondering how i go about this, as i am quite new to all this. any information would be really appreciated! thank you :)

Abstracts with "expected results" are typically not accepted for presentation. The ones that sneak past are typically despised by the research community. Depending on how much data you have, you could present it as a pilot test, or as a study to "validate" your methods. But be careful: double dipping on data will get you in trouble.

hello

i am wondering if someone who has presented an abstract would be able to help me.....do you have to have your final study results to present an abstract, or do people mention "expected results" in an abstract/oral presentation and still get accepted to present at a conference? i have some preliminary results but nothing final just yet, so i am wondering how i go about this, as i am quite new to all this. any information would be really appreciated! thank you :)

Like Osteon has said below, generally you don't publish abstracts with "expected results". What I did for one abstract without data was to present it as a pilot test.

Archived