Premed 101 Forums

Initial Contact - Research

happy_happy

I just entered my 2nd year at university of calgary and I am interested taking part in research. I have been reading through some of the researches from my univ, and found some interesting ones

How should I approach the research professors? Do I simply write them e-mail and wait for them to reply? Some people say I should show interest in their research, but some of the articles I have been reading, I have no idea what they are talking about.

Also, must I have a CV attached when I send them an e-mail. Since I am a first year, I have NO research experience what so ever, and have NOTHING to put on the CV

I'm at the UofC too, fourth year now. I was in similar situation back in my second year. I sent out many emails to the professors whose research interest me along with my CV (mostly work and volunteer, I did have a summer worth of research though), my course and credit, and asked them if they are taking undergraduate students in their lab. I got several responses, most said no, but a few said yes. Then I just scheduled interviews with the profs that are taking undergrads to take a tour around their lab and to find out their expectations. There are several undergrad research grants out there (PURE, USRP, AHFMR, NSERC) that you can apply for. Google these capital lettered words and you can find out the application deadlines. If you can't get a research grant, you can volunteer in a lab that you like. I think most labs welcome volunteers. Summer research is good. I did the Fall/winter research with Markin USRP while taking full load course. That didn't work out so well. Go easy with research and remember GPA is the number 1 priority. Good luck!:)

I just entered my 2nd year at university of calgary and I am interested taking part in research. I have been reading through some of the researches from my univ, and found some interesting ones

How should I approach the research professors? Do I simply write them e-mail and wait for them to reply? Some people say I should show interest in their research, but some of the articles I have been reading, I have no idea what they are talking about.

Also, must I have a CV attached when I send them an e-mail. Since I am a first year, I have NO research experience what so ever, and have NOTHING to put on the CV

So, my thought is that I will volunteer in lab during school year, and get a research job for the summer (with reference from lab volunteering)

So is it correct to say most profs and researchers welcome undergrad volunteers? And also, how am I to approach the researchers? People tell me I have to show interest in their research, and with no CV to hand it, would I still be accepted as a volunteer?

Archived