Premed 101 Forums

UWO Gen Surg

I've heard that the crappy reputation that the UWO program had has caused them to make some changes there. Does anyone know anything about these changes and what that means? Is it going to be a good program to be in when I apply in a year's time?

Anyone have any experience as an elective student there to share about?

Just what I heard from some of the fellows at Mac and Toronto. Apparently a couple years ago 5 out of 6 spots went unmatched because nobody wanted to go there. All agree that the training is good but the culture is a bit anachronistic - seems like things haven't changed much.

I really don't get why people would encourage not taking post call days. I can only see my learning being hampered in that sort of environment.

My understanding is that the ORs go until 6 at UWO (as a standard time to end the day), which is 1-2 hours longer than most everywhere else. Gets more cases done, I suppose, but makes for longer days. That's the only "bad" thing I've ever heard.

Talking to people at Vancouver General, I'm hearing less than great things about the UBC program.

Archived