Premed 101 Forums

Applying to medicine during grad studies?

I am a Canadian master's student (course based). I have always wanted to study medicine but my perception was that I needed to improve academically (~ B to B+ average in undergrad). I just got my MCAT score (PS-11, VR-11, WS-R, BS-14) and I think that might change things. I just started my program. I would like to hear some thoughts about applying with the intent to drop the masters if I'm accepted. Do people do that? Am I taking a risk in attempting this?

To be completely honest, it doesn't look good at all to start your masters with the intent of leaving it as soon as you enter medical school. Most medical schools will question you as to why you're leaving your research to pursue medicine, and you better have a really good answer ready. Then again, you ARE pursuing a course based masters, so I'm not sure how the rules apply to that situation. Your MCAT score is pretty good, but you still need a competitive undergrad gpa ( which a B-B+ is not, even taking into account that you are a graduate student). If anyone knows any better, they can probably help you, but this is just my two cents.

Archived