Premed 101 Forums

Akersar

You're fine! Yes, it is possible that it will go down again, but the impact should be less noticeable if you stay relatively constant with 2 semesters already under the belt. Only the R Score from the first three semesters count anyway! (assuming you get in the first round). To make it drop significantly, you would have to have a really really terrible 3rd semester :(

Don't worry too much with the r-score, someone with 31,7 was admitted to McGill this year (they showed us the statistics).

Besides, there's also that possibility that you get even better grades! Don't give up, work hard, give it that last kick for your third semester and get accepted into med school! :)

With 35.5 you are fine, believe me. McGill considers the cv and the letter in addition to your R-Score to invite you to the interview. Some people with 36.5 are not being invited when students with a R-Score of 34 are.

You have quite diversed and interesting implications for your cv, if I were you I would not be stressed out about it! Just write the best presentation letter you can, relax, and enjoy your last year in Cegep!

What's the point of getting all worried about things that are already done? Just saying ... :)

Side note - it amazes me how cegep students now know their R-scores for every class they take (or close).. When I was in cegep I remember seeing my final R-score, but never any other! And again I know I saw it but I can't remember where and I can't find it anymore.

Don't worry too much with the r-score, someone with 31,7 was admitted to McGill this year (they showed us the statistics).

That's ONE person out of 100. McGill ALWAYS does this. They always admit one person with a low r-score. I don't know why they do it or why it's consistant year after year. It's a weird unspoken policy.

From McGill web site, 27 OOPs interviewed in January 2011: Lowest GPA of interviewed candidates: 3.51; Average GPA of interviewed candidates: 3.93.

Assuming just one OOP applicant had cGPA 3.51 (this applicant may have advanced degree or second degree, etc.), the remaining 26 interviewed applicants must have an average of 3.95 cGPA!!!

From McGill web site, 27 OOPs interviewed in January 2011: Lowest GPA of interviewed candidates: 3.51; Average GPA of interviewed candidates: 3.93.

Assuming just one OOP applicant had cGPA 3.51 (this applicant may have advanced degree or second degree, etc.), the remaining 26 interviewed applicants must have an average of 3.95 cGPA!!!

This just proves my point: McGill interviews or accepts ONE person with low stats. Why they do this remains a mystery...

That's ONE person out of 100. McGill ALWAYS does this. They always admit one person with a low r-score. I don't know why they do it or why it's consistant year after year. It's a weird unspoken policy.

Well in any case, I think at least half of the accepted applicants had r scores under 35.5, because they commented on how nearly half had gotten entrance scholarships at orientation and the cut off for that is 35.5.

Well in any case, I think at least half of the accepted applicants had r scores under 35.5, because they commented on how nearly half had gotten entrance scholarships at orientation and the cut off for that is 35.5.

Half the accepted people having under 35.5 makes sense. Anything 34+ in terms on R-score is super high. I doubt many had under 34 and few under 33.5.

Yeah I wouldn't be worried... People get in with 32s (rarely). But 35.5 is high and competitive. Save your last french for your last semester (then it's CRC is insignificant). It's normal for a future Med-P to be constantly worried that their own super high CRC is too "low".

Yes, I noticed this!!

(3.51 + 26x)/27 = 3.93

x = 3.9462 =~ 3.95

That is bizarre. It is very misleading =) Didn't they say on Twitter you need 3.9 DegGPA to interview?

Yes, I noticed this!!

(3.51 + 26x)/27 = 3.93

x = 3.9462 =~ 3.95

That is bizarre. It is very misleading =) Didn't they say on Twitter you need 3.9 DegGPA to interview?

One of three things happened:

1) Applicant was classified as an IP by mistake, interviewed and then was transferred to the OP pool.

2) Applicant was an aboriginal.

3) Applicant had some outstanding reason for the <3.9 and I mean truly outstanding like he/she lost both parents or something equally tragic.

My money is on option 1.

McGill interviews or accepts ONE person with low stats. Why they do this remains a mystery...

The student selected in closely related to someone on adcom or the administrative staff. If there is more than 1 such student applying in a given year, they have a boxing match to determine who gets in. This is supposed to be a closely guarded secret but has been leaked out. They are thinking of raising it to 2 per year b/c many of their children, neices and nephews want to apply.

The student selected in closely related to someone on adcom or the administrative staff. If there is more than 1 such student applying in a given year, they have a boxing match to determine who gets in. This is supposed to be a closely guarded secret but has been leaked out. They are thinking of raising it to 2 per year b/c many of their children, neices and nephews want to apply.

Are you joking...?

wow these are serious statements

• 2 weeks later...

Archived