Premed 101 Forums

Rewriting Advice - Third Times a Charm

jdr44

Hi MCAT Gurus,

I need some serious advice. I am sort of a private person - pretty embarrassed at my scores so I don't really want to say them aloud BUT ...

I took my MCAT for the first time in 2009 and average. I was working part time and studying for exams when my TPR classes started - so I don't know if I was quite ready for it.

I took it this summer 2011 and studied by myself for about 3 months whilst working. I was getting consistent scores of about 28-30 and did MUCH worse on the actual MCAT - super bummed.

The moral of the story is. I need to take it a third time - loving life :) I am sort of reaching out to those that have been in a similar situation.

Did you find you did so - studying less intense over a longer period of time - by yourself?

Or with a class?

Whats the key to success?

Hi MCAT Gurus,

I need some serious advice. I am sort of a private person - pretty embarrassed at my scores so I don't really want to say them aloud BUT ...

I took my MCAT for the first time in 2009 and average. I was working part time and studying for exams when my TPR classes started - so I don't know if I was quite ready for it.

I took it this summer 2011 and studied by myself for about 3 months whilst working. I was getting consistent scores of about 28-30 and did MUCH worse on the actual MCAT - super bummed.

The moral of the story is. I need to take it a third time - loving life :) I am sort of reaching out to those that have been in a similar situation.

Did you find you did so - studying less intense over a longer period of time - by yourself?

Or with a class?

Whats the key to success?

I was in the same situation as you. First time I got my score and was not happy, decided to change nothing and retry, and got the same score. On my 4th try I got an acceptable score which, although good wasn't good enough to get me an interview. I wrote the 5th time in 2011 and have a 37Q. The most important thing is to not get discouraged.

If you are going to rewrite, relearning the material a third time will make it easier for everything to sink in. Just make sure you study with the goal to UNDERSTAND everything. Small study sessions are always better than high volume sessions. Don't forget to take a break when you are not feeling up to it. Also get a feel for MCAT question types and MCAT timing by doing MCAT practice tests (this is very important). I wouldn't waste money on courses, instead you can use textbooks for chem/physics/bio courses and learn everything yourself.

Good luck.

i know this has been talked about before. but does anybody have a list of schools that take the average of your mcat scores??? also if Western looks at ur highest? most recent? or average?? thanks

I thought they all looked at your highest score provided it was written within the five year limit.

2010 MCAT: 9/8/R/10 - (27R)

2011 MCAT: 12/10/Q/13 - (35Q)

Jump of 8 points in one year. What changed? I can guarantee it was not the amount of studying. In 2010, I studied nearly 10 hours per day for 3 months straight. In 2011, I studied maybe 6 hours per week for 2 months while doing a PhD in engineering. So what changed? It was the way I studied. For the MCAT, I realized it's not what you know, it's how you can use what you know to critically assess new scenarios. With this in mind, to study the second time around, I simply read the EK books once, thinking about the relationship between EVERYTHING as I did so. This let's you integrate all the information so you can solve any problem. UNDERSTANDING the equations and information is crucial. CRITICAL ASSESSMENT is even more important than knowing. Knowing gets you a 8 or 9. Understanding and critically assessing gets you 11 and beyond.

Archived