Premed 101 Forums

I'm getting worried, med students please help

Guest Lisa K

Hello everyone

Reading these posts have really got me worried about going to medical school. I was accepted to medicine at UofT 3 years ago but deffered my acceptance in order to complete my Phd and fellowship portion of the program. Now I'm terrified of going to medical school. Are these 20-23 year old aggressive jerks going to isolate me, make fun of me and exclude me. That sounds like horrible high school again. Because I have done Bsc,Msc worked in clinical research for 2 years and will complete my Post doc fellowship next year, I will be 33~34 entering med school to complete the MD portion of the program, its always been my dream to be a MD/Phd but now i'm really afraid about these bratty kids (I wish I did the MD portion first). Are there any older students out there how have these youngsters treated you (any bullying and moking?) and for the med students how do you view us older students, is it "cool" to talk to them, or are they just there to be snobbed on? I know it seems silly not to complete the MD portion but if life is going to hell for the next four years than there is no point to being tortured, I'll just settle for the Phd. anyways the med students on this board seem really nice so that is a comfort. !!!

Thanks Lisa K

Guest Kirsteen

Hi Lisa,

Most med schools now have fairly diverse populations of people. UT is no exception. As such, you should be able to find a group of people amongst whom you feel comfy. As to the length of the program no worries: the didactic portion is only two years (the other two being spent in the hospitals), and two years is a pretty short time once you get into it.

The above is the worst case, the other side of the coin is that you may find yourself surrounded by an incredibly brilliant and fascinating group of people (and I've heard this described by more than one person attending UT), and the two years will seem all the shorter.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest not rex morgan

With all due respect, you don't really sound like you really want to go to med school. Yes there are older people in our program. Yes there is a small faction of the class that would like to still be in highschool. It's a small group, so it can get gossipy. More mature students tend to just shrug it off, as most of us realise this is not highschool. To be honest, I don't really understand why someone in her 30's is worrying about not being seen as cool. You will not be isolated and taunted for having done things before med school. You will probably not be the only person who has done some pretty outstanding things. Most people who get into med have pretty full life stories.

Guest Ian Wong

I honestly don't understand why your background has led you to the idea that there are a significant number of "20-23 year old aggressive jerks" or "bratty kids" who would make your life miserable, but I'm sorry you feel that way.

If you DO feel that way, there's probably nothing I can say that would overcome any personal experiences that you may have had to the contrary.

My personal feeling that that med school is just like a smaller subset of real life. There are all varieties of people as far as personality, age, religion, outside interests, previous education, whatever. Within med school, there's almost certainly going to be a core group of people with similar values to yourself. No doubt, med school is clique-y, but that's not so much a function of people snobbing each other as it is that there's simply not enough time during the day to hang around with each person!

Despite that, it's quite true that I don't spend a lot of time with the older parents in my class. We simply have different life goals and different expectations and demands from our family/friends. That doesn't mean that there's animousity between us, or that I snob them, and/or vice versa. They like me and I like them, and we are approachable to each other. We just don't hang out a lot. That's normal.

Ian

UBC, Med 3

If you actually want to practice medicine (and if you don't really want to, that's another matter), then I don't see why "bratty kids" should stand in your way. Besides, I'm sure there must be some people that you fit in well with - the class is 200 people, after all. Besides, not all 20-23 year olds are bound to be jerks. For instance, I think I'm a nice enough guy... :b

Guest Ian Wong

There's only one other thread like that, and about several hundreds which aren't. This entire message board is staffed by volunteer medical students who generously spend some of their valuable free time to contribute advice to premed students. If you're basing your worries just on today's thread, then I think you should read deeper into this message board to see just how vast of a contribution these moderators have given to helping others.

Most med students are really good people in my experience.

Ian

UBC, Med 3

Guest brandonite

Hey!

For a friendly class, you should check out Manitoba! I know students in a variety of years at Manitoba, and all of the classes seem extremely close. They only take a few OOP applicants, but the class is very supportive of each other, and it's small enough that you get to know most of your applicants. There is some great research going on in certain areas - for example, if you're interested in nuclear medicine, they have the best research facility in Canada a few blocks away.

I've been around on these boards for a while now, and this sort of infighting has lead me to steer clear of Ontario... There are a pile of great schools in western Canada that tend to get looked over - UBC, Alberta, Manitoba, etc... Take a look at them! I think the attitude is much friendlier!

With the exception of a few people here and there, most med students I have met are incredibly supportive. Just stick it out, and keep in mind that every school has it's on dynamics that can vary from class to class...

Guest UWOMED2005

Hey Lisa K,

You haven't been logging on to that "other board," have you? If you have, I think I know where you are coming from. Don't worry, if that is the case the people whom I think have given you that impression are NOT representative of med students in general. I wouldn't worry about it but I understand your concerns. If that is your ONLY concern about doing medical school, then I'd say enroll.

I can't comment on U of T, but I know at Western most people get along with everyone. Admittedly, there was a bit of cliquiness at the start of the year, but it seemed to stem from the fact that noone really knew anyone else at the time.

Age is not a significant factor in socialization. I'm 23 and last weekend I went out with a group of students that included one student in their 30s. We had a blast - though it was a little wierd when the subject of "first album ever bought" came up. She made fun of me for the fact that the Fine Young Cannibals "The Raw & The Cooked" was the first album I ever bought - I was 11 at the time, but she was 19 so was into more 'sophisticated' music by then!

Guest UWOMED2005

Wow - just read that other thread Ian locked out. . . yikes!

That has NOT been my experience at medical school. Yes, SOME students let the fact they got into med school get to their head. They're by FAR in the minority - you have to actively look for such opinions to find them. Don't forget - when you're looking for snobbery, you quite often find it in places it just simply doesn't exist.

If you're worried about age and medical school, check www.mni.uwo.ca/discus/. Our class webmaster has set up a forum for students applying to Western (MEDS2006 admissions.) A couple of people in our class have posted specifically on this topic - you might find it useful to read their perspective.

Guest Not a pessimist

Although I believe your assertion that meds are of all types (and I guess so are premeds); I have noticed one trait, with not many outliers, among the premeds and the meds (the ones I know and the ones I have encountered on this board):

Getting into medical school seems to be the ultimate goal of life, and the greatest source of gratification once inside. I guess this attitude is required for most to keep an A average, write a good MCAT and stuff extracurriculars into a busy life. Yet, what awaits behind that MD? How much do volunteering in a hospital or following a physician inform us about day-to-day life of a hospital staff member/community caregiver. I just hope that most of us, tomorrow's MDs, have critically thought about that "tomorrow", before giving years of our youth to preparation for shortsighted admission tests, shuffling patient files as a volunteer and passionless "I-hate-labwork" research. Would it be ALL worth it in the end? So asks a realist.

Guest Akane200

Hey! I'm one of those 20-23 year olds in the class! >:

Really, Lisa, I think you're over generalizing our segment of the class before meeting any of us. Really, the ultimate goal is to become a good doctor; snooty people that you meet should not be high on the agenda.

While I must admit that there are cliques in the class, I don't feel that any would treat you badly for being older. You'll fit right in with the graduate student rows. There are, after all, >40 grad students in our class. Many of whom I'm glad to be friends with.

Let me give the point of view as a "younger" U of T med student. We are not bratty, and we do not look down on our older classmates at all. Some of the older classmates have so much life experience, PhDs, and done so many things which are amazing, especially the students with children. These are different from our achievements, but no less amazing in itself.

If anything, I feel the problem may lie in yourself where you don't have enough confidence in yourself to feel comfortable with us "bratty" twenty year olds (I'm sorry, but I get the impression from your post that you may feel inferior or something). Yes, we did get in young (and for that, I don't qualify for government aid!), but I think in our class (and I would say most people in our class would feel the same way), everyone is pretty amazing. You may meet one or two really smart and arrogant people, but you don't have to hang around them or even like them.

The class at U of T is large, and you will definitely find a niche to fit in. It's not really like high school because the goal is to learn to be good doctors, not to hang around and be popular. There is a crowd that does things like that, but the majority of people in the class don't care about them (really more out of apathy and maturity).

We have no reason to be antagonistic to anyone. True, like Ian said, we don't necessarily hang out, but that's not due to age. It doesn't mean we don't talk to grad students. And if anything, some of the snobbier students in the class happen to be PhDs who pick on the lecturers for details or may make you feel stupid in PBL. So, it's not fair to generalize any group in the class.

Actually, in class, no one notices age differences anymore. We are all "class mates" or "colleagues" and we treat each other as such, so I don't know why the age issue should be a big deal.

Hello everyone

I think there was a little miscommunication here. The impressions I got were based on the threads below, one of which Ian had to close down. I just really couldn't believe the rudeness of the commentary. In no way do I feel that way about 20-23 year olds. In all honesty i don't really see a difference in us (age wise) for hanging out and relating. After all we are in the same boat and by the time you are done you specialties you will be 35 anyway. I just was a little confused with what was being said on the other threads, people seemed quite agressive. I am in constant contact with undergrads, (lecturer for neuroscience, and some neuroanatomy courses) and I think that they are farily representative of the general population (all types) and that's why I felt the previous discussion threads were skewed in representation. AKane I know what its like to be accepted at 22 as I was accepted into the MD/Phd program at that age but chose to complete the Phd portion first. I have nothing against people entering med school at that age, I think its great they have the ability and drive to do it. I chose the Phd/MD route because it makes you more far more comeptitive for certain tough residencies (ie the research experience, contacts, pubs and presentations at international conferences) and most highly regarded specialties ie cardiology , neurosurg - usually have the students complete a Phd during the residency portion of the training anyway, I figured I would do it before hand. So I again apologise if you thought these were my direct feelings, because they were not I was just reflecting upon the immature posts.

thanks again, I am certainly going to complete the MD portion and hopefully jump along to nerusurg. I think the stress of this reseach work/teaching/marking/grant proposals/lab work has provided me with a healthy dose of temporary insanity and I just over reacted to a few silly comments. Again I apologise to all, the last thing I wanted to do was offend anyone.

Good Luck to evryone, and I'm really sorry about the confusion

Lisa K

Guest Euphoria

Hi,

I'm a current undergraduate student at UfT myself, as well as a premed hopeful, I also have several friends and family members who are in the midst of med school at UfT. From everything I heard, there is no such thing as teasing or mocking in med school. And even if there was, I'm sure most of those who act as such are just going through their own problems. Most people I know, highly regard the mature students in their class. After all, much like you, many of them took time out to complete a MD/PhD or even to raise a family. Accomplishment as this can not be look down on to be tease or mock. Hence, I'm sure there is nothing for you to worry about. Just enjoy yourself and have a great time achieving your dream. All the best.:)

Guest strider2004

Where's this other thread? I don't think I've read it. In my own class, there is no mocking/jibbing of other students unless we're playing pool or table tennis or some other remotely competitive event and that usually only involves telling the other person how bad that shot was or if they need new glasses or something about their mother.

Having a graduate degree probably does help you in residency if your degree is in something related to your future career goals(a MSc in philosophy might not help). Some classmate have done degree in something like neuroscience and are interested in doing neurology. They [should] be at an advantage comapred to those fresh-faced kids who don't have the same amount of experience. I also think that if you've already done graduate work, you might be able to get a year off your residency(some programs have a year of research built in).

Archived