Premed 101 Forums

22 papers but where to indicate the journal names

Having over 22 published papers including one as first author in the Journal of Clinical Oncology, where should I indicate the journal names and high impact factors? Most applications ask for the Journal name, volume, issue and page numbers.

The description section should be more for an abstract of the paper rather than info on the journal/vol/iss/page.

Having over 22 published papers including one as first author in the Journal of Clinical Oncology, where should I indicate the journal names and high impact factors? Most applications ask for the Journal name, volume, issue and page numbers.

The description section should be more for an abstract of the paper rather than info on the journal/vol/iss/page.

I don't know what you are asking here. There's a description section and you can include whatever you want in the limited space you're provided. I wouldn't bother with impact factors though...I don't think they will care about it, and it takes up a lot of space that could be used for something more important.

With over 22 papers, I assume you have completed a PhD or have been involved with a research lab for quite some time? This means more than impact factors do.

I don't know what you are asking here. There's a description section and you can include whatever you want in the limited space you're provided. I wouldn't bother with impact factors though...I don't think they will care about it, and it takes up a lot of space that could be used for something more important.

With over 22 papers, I assume you have completed a PhD or have been involved with a research lab for quite some time? This means more than impact factors do.

Osteon, in response to your question: I spent 2 years for a MSc to work on breast cancer and cardiotoxicity. I am waiting for an MDPHD program before starting a PHD and will work with the Government in the meantime.

For this application, are abstracts considered in this section? Also, are scientific presentations at conferences also considered in this section or anywhere in the application?

2 years for a MSc to complete this work.

Are abstracts considered "publications"?

Are scientific presentations at conferences also considered in this section?

So when you say "22 publications," you are including journal papers, abstracts and presentations, correct? Or do you mean 22 peer-reviewed papers published in journals, and then some abstracts and presentations on top of that?

Abstracts are considered to be publications. Presentation's are not since your presentation is not peer reviewed. The corresponding abstract is. So you could say it as follws:

Applicant, X.X. et al. (2010). Getting into medical school. Proceedings of the conference on medical admissions, Havana, Cuba. I presented this work as a podium presentation at this conference.

So when you say "22 publications," you are including journal papers, abstracts and presentations, correct? Or do you mean 22 peer-reviewed papers published in journals, and then some abstracts and presentations on top of that?

Abstracts are considered to be publications. Presentation's are not since your presentation is not peer reviewed. The corresponding abstract is. So you could say it as follws:

Applicant, X.X. et al. (2010). Getting into medical school. Proceedings of the conference on medical admissions, Havana, Cuba. I presented this work as a podium presentation at this conference.

Osteon, indeed I mean to say 22 peer-reviewed publications in cardiology and oncology related journals.

Thanks for the format for entering the abstracts. I will enter 14 of these abstracts as you have mentioned.

In the manual on page 9 it says ".... This may include oral and poster presentations as long as the abstract has been published in the conference proceedings..."

I am taking that to mean that it's okay to list your presentations as a "publication"...

In the manual on page 9 it says ".... This may include oral and poster presentations as long as the abstract has been published in the conference proceedings..."

I am taking that to mean that it's okay to list your presentations as a "publication"...

For some presentations such as the European Society of Cardiology Congress, the abstract is included online as proceedings and is published again in the European Heart Journal Supplements. For this case, I chose the journal reference.

No. What this means is that for presentations to be considered scientific presentations and listed under publications, there had to be a corresponding abstract. You would not list the abstract and presentation separately as this would be redundant. For every abstract, there is necessarily a corresponding presentation. So you list the abstract and specify who presented.

In their defense, a friend of mine had six publications in eight months. Although he was into crystallography and only pumped out samples and data, but he still got his name on the papers. So 22 pubs is attainable, it just depends on what form of contribution. Almost positive 22 pubs as first author is impossible.

22 publications is definitely impressive and possible. If they are a big lab group and everyone is on everyone's abstract/paper, it could rack up easily. Sort of defeats the publication process that way though...

Or else, they worked their butt off. Good work!

Anyone that's ever written up a paper or been involved in co-writing a paper knows what an endeavor just writing the damn thing is. A person would have trouble writing up 22 papers in 2 years, let alone having the time to do the experiments.

It's probably some elaborate piggy-back system in a lab with many students/postdocs. Or just an obvious troll.

Anyone that's ever written up a paper or been involved in co-writing a paper knows what an endeavor just writing the damn thing is. A person would have trouble writing up 22 papers in 2 years, let alone having the time to do the experiments.

It's probably some elaborate piggy-back system in a lab with many students/postdocs. Or just an obvious troll.

I certainly know how hard writing a paper is as i've done several over my past 2 yeas in grad school, and why I certainly don't have 22. All i'm saying is that it's possible to have 22 if everyone puts each other on their papers and it's a productive/large lab.

I certainly know how hard writing a paper is as i've done several over my past 2 yeas in grad school, and why I certainly don't have 22. All i'm saying is that it's possible to have 22 if everyone puts each other on their papers and it's a productive/large lab.

Just my personal opinion, but I still don't think 22 papers is possible because it requires you to do some work even if you want to be included as a third author or fifth author. Plus, how large does the army of postdocs would have to be to pump out 1 paper a month assuming grad students do not have much experience writing papers.

Archived