Premed 101 Forums

Blackberry on contract --> iPhone ... just swap SIM card?

Renin

I found a used, unlocked iPhone on Kijiji that is the same carrier as my own Blackberry (which shouldn't matter because it is unlocked); I should theoretically just swap SIM cards from my Blackberry to my iPhone, right?

Is there anything else I should know about this swap?

Yes, you should know something VERY important: you can't use a regular SIM card in an iPhone (to my knowledge). iPhones use microSIM cards and everyone else uses regular SIM cards. Ie, the one from your bb won't work if you get the unlocked iPhone.

I could be wrong (I'm not a techie) but that's what I've heard. It's how iPhone hooks you....

If its older than an iphone 4 then it uses regular cards. Otherwise you will need to buy a micro sim. And you will need to tell your carrier that you switched to an iphone. Because they need to deactivate your Blackberry Internet Service and enable regular data. Failure to do so will produce an !OH EM GHEE! reaction when you see your next bill.

Btw if your provider is rogers, they might make you pay $100 for "cancelling" your BIS data service, and resign you for another 3 year "contract" for regular data.

If its older than an iphone 4 then it uses regular cards. Otherwise you will need to buy a micro sim. And you will need to tell your carrier that you switched to an iphone. Because they need to deactivate your Blackberry Internet Service and enable regular data. Failure to do so will produce an !OH EM GHEE! reaction when you see your next bill.

Btw if your provider is rogers, they might make you pay $100 for "cancelling" your BIS data service, and resign you for another 3 year "contract" for regular data.

YAY - it's a 3Gs.

BOO - $100 cancelling fee. I might stick with BB then.

Archived