Premed 101 Forums

ECs and Volunteering

cogniva

I don't have a clue, but ECs/volunteering and Abtract and GPA must all be fairly important whatever weight is assigned to each, plus CV Highlights & LORs need to be factored into the formula.

And then there is the wildcard when they choose to ignore their formula for whatever reason apply a subjective criteria to it all, givng someone an interview who otherwise would not qualify. The recipe is not always made of gold and I suspect can be fluid.

Good Afternoon

I am a McGill Medical school ambassador and I would like to address some of your concerns regarding the evaluation of the different application elements.

The way the different elements are weighted is as follow:

grades 60%

personal narrative 20%

CV 20%

I hope this helps.

You can contact mcgill medical school ambassadors via this webpage.

http://www.mcgill.ca/medadmissions/w...t-our-students

Jeanne

Just a note, I'm not sure of Jeanne's validity.

Never have I seen the breakdown of the application elements (certainly not last year when I applied), and if McGill Med made them available they would be easy to find on their website.

Just be cautious what people tell you!

Good luck :)

McGill Med

Class of 2015

I am not sure why you would question the validity of my statement.

As McGill medicine ambassadors we are trained to respond to admission questions and deliver valid information (and try to put an end to some of the myths behind admissions...)

The breakdown I have given on this website, is official and has been given out to applicants who have attended open house or various information sessions.

at Clover_236: I will double check the info but I am pretty sure this is for CV highlights and the personal statement abstract.

When in doubt please contact us directly via our webpage to verify:

http://www.mcgill.ca/medadmissions/w...t-our-students

I hope this helps.

Jeanne

Sorry about the page, here is the right link:

http://www.mcgill.ca/medadmissions/why-mcgill-medicine/meet-our-students

The information given previously is not posted on the website. What you have PharmMed325 is also correct but it only applies once you get an interview.

To sum up

To get an interview:

60% grades

20% personal statement (abstract)

20% CV (highlights)

After the interview

80% interview

20% narrative (full length)

It kind of makes sense... Afterall, extracurriculars are suppose to 1) give you a better sense of the medical field and 2) develop your personality to make you more suited to become a doctor. Both of which can be evaluated by the MMI interview.

If CV was used as the final admissions criteria, CV buffers would get an unfair advantage. So I guess all you need is a grades cutoff, motivation letter and personality evaluation.

Archived