Premed 101 Forums

age and medical school

Guest confused

Guest confused

How much does age matter. I'm am very young applicant 18.....long story. I was wondering if they would hold that against me. They may take the stance of maturity, but I feel that I am as mature as a 23 year old, just like some 23 year olds act like 18 year olds. Also, I would like the medical students to tell me their opinons if they think its a good idea for me to sell this point in the interview, or just dont mention it unless it comes up. Thanks

As a somewhat younger (turning 21 this year) applicant myself, I would definitely not bring up age in the interview unless they asked. Although they're not supposed to be biased against your age, you never know. They'll probably expect you to show even more maturity than a comparable 22/23 year old applicant. Anyway, I have heard of 17 year olds going to U. of Alberta and several 18/19 year olds at some of the Ontario med schools, so if you got in it wouldn't be unprecendented. Best of luck to you...

Guest UWOMED2005

I wouldn't bring it up either. . . only because it shouldn't be an issue. We have several 20 years old in our class (Western) and I've heard of younger students at other schools. Don't sweat it.

Guest Ian Wong

I wouldn't sell it. If you are asked about it, then you'll have to discuss it, but I don't think it would be to your advantage to bring it up first. Age doesn't get you into med school, but achievements, personal qualities, and having realistic goals do. Spend the time on your interview explaining why you'd be a great candidate for med school and not on deflecting reasons why your age should be a deciding factor. This year at UBC, we accepted an 18 year old (pretty rare though), so anything's possible.

Ian

UBC, Med 3

• 3 weeks later...

Archived