Premed 101 Forums

take a break first?

Guest undecided

Guest undecided

I am not sure if any of u have gone through the following problem...

Say I have very good marks and MCAT scores, lots of volunteer/research experiences, and also nice personality - but am not sure whether I should go on to grad school or med school.

Do u think it is a good idea to take a break for a year or two before making the decision? And if so, how should I spend the time in between?

Guest UWOMED2005

Absolutely. I jumped into meds right away from undergrad - and while I'm ultimately happy with my decision to go into medicine, I've often had the feeling that I've already committed myself until retirement at the tender age of 23 (well, 24 now. . .) I've also found myself burning out quicker this year - never having experienced the "real world" I sometimes wonder what it would be like.

If you have any doubts about medicine. . . take the year off. Seriously.

Guest AniyaSG

You can always turn one year into 2 and come out with an MSc. In that case you would know first hand if research is for you, and it wouldn't hurt your chances if you decide to apply to medicine afterwards :)

Good luck with your choice!

Hi,

Yes, I think that sounds like a great idea. I know a friend who did that too and he's now currently finishing his last yr of med school. He told me that taking a year off helped him put things in perspective and now he really does enjoy the entire aspect of med. As for suggestion about what to do within that extra time, my friend had taken the year off, travelled a bit to Europe, continued volunteering at a hospital, took some art courses (english and drama). Basically he did a bit of everything he liked. And he said the break made him realize that he didn't miss much. Med student do still have a life (most of them anywayz=P) but definitely be sure if you want to or not, otherwise forcing yourself into a box will not be as rewarding. Goodluck

Guest RAK2005

Just to add my two cents, I did almost exactly what the original poster suggested... I wasn't sure if I wanted to be an academic and pursue a PhD, or go to medical school. It wasn't until I was knee deep in my masters work that I truly found my calling, which was meds. I really think the Masters route gave me a different perspective, and I also took some time off to enjoy life a little. Now that I am in meds the workload doesn't seem all that bad and I am not suffering from burnout (I'll save THAT for clerkship and residency :) ).

My advice is to seriously think about what you want, and when you want it...and take it from there!

Archived