Premed 101 Forums

2nd Options

Hello

I am a 26 years old Master's student-currently in the second year- and I have applied for Canadian and US med schools for 2012 entry, My stats are:

1st year: 2.8

2nd year:3.86

3rd year:3.9

4th year:3.8

Grad:4.0

ECs: Student government, Founded 2 clubs at university( one for neuroscience one for peace volunteers), 2 abstracts, 1 publication, probably submit another by the end of this year, OGS, 2 NSERC USRAs, 3 departmental honor Awards, Ontario indoor Soccer League finals, 200 hrs hospital volunteering and...

BUT: my MCAT score is awful I got a 30( PS: 12/VR:7/BS:11/WS:R) and I just wanted a took a shot for this year, but I am not sure what to consider as a back up plan/option, So i wanted to ask your opinion about: 1. go to international Schools(Ireland/Austrailia/UK) 2. Transfer to PhD program(will take probably 2/3 more years) rewrite MCAT and re-apply 3. Finish Masters and Re-Write MCAT/Reapply(may be apply for a Research Assistant potion during that year). 4. other Suggestions??!!

PS. I spend two years of Dentistry school before I decide to come to Canada so I am concerned about wasting more years. Thank you very much for your help.

I think you're going to have a hard time in Canada/America, especially if you don't rewrite the MCAT for your VR.

For Ontario:

Mac - will be tough because of cGPA and VR, I'd say near impossible.

Western -out due to VR

Ottawa -out because you don't meet their wGPA cutoff (unless you're from Ottawa), you could always do an extra year though.

NOSM - need a rural background

Queens - Possibly

UofT - might be a good option if your wGPA is good and they are able to look past your flagged MCAT.

OOP:

Looking really slim.

America:

MCAT is probably too low for most schools

It's a shame because I feel like you've proven yourself as a candidate besides your VR and first year GPA. I would try doing a fifth year, and work hard to raise your verbal, giving you a few options. You could always work in Alberta for a year too.

Archived