Premed 101 Forums

Help on personal letter

Knovecc

Hi guys,

I may need your advices here.

I did sorta poorly (or mediocrely) in my preclinical years and the beginning of clerkship (no fail though). I got way better after.

So now I want to apply for a competitive specialty, that I REALLY fell in love late in my clerkship. The concerning ITER (which was pretty recent) is really good, and I make sure that I get very good references in this domain.

Given my mediocre academic past, do you think I should better particularly explain my situation in the letter?

If yes, how shall I explain that? Should I just be honest and tell them I was sorta immature and proud at the beginning, then I evolved, that the ups and downs are part of the process of maturation...

you know I don't wanna make a story and tell them that I got some personal/family issues... but would it have better results?

Can I also tell them the truth that it was also b/c I didn't know which specific specialty I want to go, and now I am sure of my way, get more incentive thus really improved?

Thanks!!!

I kind of have a hard time believing that your transcript would actually say 'bad' things. You are probably better off not addressing it at all and just focus on your positive evals, qualities, etc. The only time I've ever heard someone recommend that you address something 'negative' in your letters would be to

1) explain why you have none/few electives in a specialty if you just changed your mind about it or

2) explain why there is a 'gap' in your training (year off for research, health, family reasons, etc)

Archived