Premed 101 Forums

Engineering as an alternative route

I am finishing my undergraduate at York University in Biological/Physical Anthropology.

And i was considering the second degree option in physiology at university of toronto st george.

the other option is biomedical engineering at University of Toronto.

Which is a better way to go about this and why?

There's no "better" option. It totally comes down to your interests, strengths and future goals. Both programs are very different in terms of content even though they're both health related. Physiology is more chemistry/biochemistry while engineering is more physics - a lot more physics (unless you do stem cell stuff...then it's still chemistry). A note about engineering though: it will be more demanding than physiology. Also, unlike some other areas of engineering, most jobs in biomedical engineering require advanced degrees (MSc or PhD). I'd imagine your previous degree will give you more credits towards the physiology degree so that option might be shorter if that's of interest to you.

I am finishing my undergraduate at York University in Biological/Physical Anthropology.

And i was considering the second degree option in physiology at university of toronto st george.

the other option is biomedical engineering at University of Toronto.

Which is a better way to go about this and why?

Do you mean a second degree as in graduate degree or a second undergrad degree? If it's the former, then biomed engineering program is probably a much more career orientated grad degree than physiology. I am actually looking into doing my PhD in this program - if I get into the MD/PhD program this year.

There are lots of great supervisors in this program at U of T. It's definitely a growing field into the future.

Archived