Premed 101 Forums

Which applicant pool do I fall into?

I looked it up on their website, you are correct (I must have been thinking of Western), but they also look at your ABS (I guess to see where you did most of your activities):

"The autobiographical sketch and the permanent address listed on the application form will be used to determine the geographical status of the applicants."

thanks guys - but i'm a bit lost in all the acronyms - OOP OP .. mind spelling them out?

i also received this from the registrar's office earlier in the year:

The WGPA cut-off for out of province residents last year was 3.87/4 and for residents of Ottawa it was 3.70/4 and it has been predicted that it will not change for this application cycle.

The cut-offs for academic performance is based on a list of priorities which is matched to the geographical status of the applicant. The geographical status is confirmed by the permanent residence (home address) and is verified with the activities listed on your sketch.

Yes, I am pretty sure. I have been in Ottawa since September 2007 and many of my activities have been in Ottawa however my permanent address is also OOO. I applied last cycle with a 3.83 wGPA and was told I did not meet the cut-off for my applicant pool (would have made the cut-off if I was considered from Ottawa). From this, I think you need to have your permanent address AND the majority of your activities in Ottawa. Good luck!

Yes, I am pretty sure. I have been in Ottawa since September 2007 and many of my activities have been in Ottawa however my permanent address is also OOO. I applied last cycle with a 3.83 wGPA and was told I did not meet the cut-off for my applicant pool (would have made the cut-off if I was considered from Ottawa). From this, I think you need to have your permanent address AND the majority of your activities in Ottawa. Good luck!

Jeeeez, that's harsh. Thanks for the heads up tho!

I mean, you never know. If you have applied this cycle, just sit back and relax (there is nothing you can do now except keep up your GPA and ECs). If you are applying next cycle and Ottawa is your top choice you might consider changing your permanent address if you are still in Ottawa and many of your activities are in Ottawa - that is only if you will not meet the 3.85 cut-off. If you do, then you have no worries (in terms of wGPA cut-off) as long as you are still in-province.

If i did grades 5-12 in ottawa... is my permanent address in ottawa?

cause im a quebec resident (i landed in montreal so I have a CSQ) and I go to school (undegrad) at McGill...

maybe i have dual residency in which case that would be awesome. cause my mcat grades weren't that high....

• 2 weeks later...
Are many of your activities on your ABS in Ottawa because that is the other part of considering what pool you fall in to?

no i dont think so. i work here, occasionally volunteering at a nursing home after work. most of my non academic activities apart from work are out of province..

by the way there are two "ABS" for OttawaU eh? one that is standardized for OMSAS, and then an additional ABS that requires applicants to describe activities during post-secondary years? I am a tad confused which one they'd count..

Archived