Premed 101 Forums

Inorganic Chemistry - really need to take it?

Guest MedDreams

Guest MedDreams

Hi,

I noticed that Inorganic Chemistry is not one of the "required courses" for most med schools but Organic Chemistry is. However, some people have told me that it's better to take Inorganic anyways. Is this true?? The material on the MCAT is really based on Organic and general chemistry, so why would taking Inorganic be beneficial? (Please don't tell me it looks more sexy on the transcript! ;)

Guest Ian Wong

If by inorganic chem you mean general chemistry, then I think taking it could be useful for the MCAT. On the other hand, if you're referring to physical chemistry when you're talking about inorganic chem, then I'd stay the heck away from that course! :) That course at UVic was by far the most brutal of the second year chem courses, far and away more difficult than organic chem.

Ian

UBC, Med 3

Guest Liana

It depends on the inorganic course you're into (basically, by definition, inorganic is anything that's not organic). Intro (first year) chem is definitely a necessity for the MCAT and for organic chemistry. True inorganic chemistry courses tend to be about transition metals and are really really far away from what you would need to apply to medicine (unless you want to go into prosthetics or possibly nuclear medicine), and is one of the most irrelevant physical science courses to the practice of medicine, arguably less beneficial than most maths and physics.

However, contrary to Ian's comment about a second year physical chem course, this course *could* be beneficial to you, depending on the course. At most schools, there's a 2nd year course, called at my school "thermodynamics & kinetics), which tends to be one of the hardest chems you can ever take. However, many schools also offer a physical chem course geared toward the biological scientists; at my school this was called "Physical Chemistry" but I've heard of courses like "Physical Chem for Life Sciences". Usually this is an antirequisite to the more challenging physical chem course, and often does not have a lab. This was an expansion on what was learned in first year chem, but I think there still is a relevance, particularly if you are eying anaesthesiology. This course primarily dealt with gas laws and solubilities, and I woudl recommend it to students who tend to do well in chemistry courses; it is however, completely an optional course, not a requirement, and will only help you minimally on the MCAT. However, it could be a mark booster if you're strong in understanding theoretical chemistry.

Guest UWOMED2005

I don't know - I took a "Physical Chem for Biochem students" and have not found it useful both in applying to Meds and in Meds itself (other than in the sense that all university courses are useful). You really only need Organic Chem and 1st year Chemistry for both the MCAT and Meds itself.

Guest Liana

I would still argue that physical chemistry can be beneficial, depending on your area of focus. If you're particularly interested in community health or anaesthesiology, physical chemistry will still provide a foundation for your understanding of the area. It's absolutely not essential, you're right, but for someone with an interest in the physical basis of things, it's still a good course to take.

Plus, I certainly wouldn't say it was "useless". I find that chemistry & physics courses are much easier to get really high marks in than biology or arts courses, so the physical chem course I took, if nothing else, served to help my GPA. It's absolutely a personal choice though; if you don't want to take it, don't bother, but if you're interested, it may provide you with a fundamental appreciation of the physical aspects of medicine.

Guest UWOMED2005

Sorry - you're right, 'useless' was an inappropriate term. Note the above edit. And I agree with you on the subject of physical chemistry being a subject that is easier to hit an A or A+ in than some arts courses - though I wouldn't be surprised if that comment sparked off a debate.

Guest BCgirl

Hey UWOmed :) I'm not trying to start a debate, but...

I don't think that ANYONE who has taken phys chem (*real* phys chem for chemistry majors - my school only has one type - with calculus and such fun stuff) would say that it is easier to get an A or an A+ in compared to arts courses. I haven't taken phys chem yet (hopefully I'll get into UBC so I won't have to :) ), but it's a notoriously difficult course and one that I am NOT looking forward to......

MedDreams, don't bother taking inorganic if you don't need it for a chem degree or something. You'll be fine with the regular first year general chemistry course.

Guest UWOMED2005

You're right - the 'Chemistry' Phys Chem course offered at my undergrad institution (Dalhousie) was notoriously difficult. . . though I took the "Physical Chemistry for Biochemistry students" variant, and it ended up being fairly easy (though my performance was based more on mathematical ability and the fact we were allowed a 'cheat sheet' in the exam rather than any understanding of physical chemistry!)

Of course a course like that can vary substantially from University to University, or rather, from Prof to Prof. And I'd still say it would be easier to get an A+ in a difficult Phys Chem course (ie one where the prof has decided to make tests difficult and cover the material rapidly - after all, if you work REALLY hard, understand the material and get everything right on the test, you pretty much will get that A- to A+ mark you're looking for) than in an Arts course where the Prof has decided to mark hard (ie decided a prof that has decided NO essay is worth an A- unless it's 'absolutely outstanding,' ie, his graduate thesis! Can't do anything about that one!)

On a similar note, I remember you posting earlier that you were at a small school out east. . . well if it's affiliated with Dalhousie and you're thinking of taking "History of Modern Medicine" at Dal - don't! I took it and learned alot from the course, but many fellow premeds took it expecting it to be a "bird" Arts course and got absolutely killed on the essays! That's not to say that noone managed to get an A in the course, but there were alot of students I know who entered that course with an A- average and ended up getting marks in the low C and B ranges. Just a little friendly advice to anyone attending Dalhousie. . .

Guest BCgirl

You definitely have a point about the arts course vs. phys chem regarding marks on papers. Arts courses definitley have a degree of subjectivity that science courses don't.

I don't go to Dal, but thanks for the advice anyway. Am I ever glad I don't go to Dal right now!! This is the 4th week of the strike.... bad stuff!

Did you meet a guy named Josh from out here on the weekend at the western interviews?

Guest MedDreams

I completely understand everyone's view, but unfortunately physical sciences aren't my strong points |I . So I'll probably do what BCGirl suggested and what Ian stated so clearly..."stay the heck away from that course!" :b

By the way BCGirl congratulations on your MCAT scores! I had a few questions that I forwarded to you, did you receive my email?

Guest BCgirl

Hi MedDreams,

Thanks. I did get your email (but I have a habit of taking a while to write back, sorry :) I'll do that sometime tonight probably). Unfortunately, I've already agreed to let some friends borrow the AAMC tests and my other MCAT stuff. Good luck!

Guest UWOMED2005

Yeah, I did meet your friend. Seemed like a solid guy, I can't remember exactly which school he went to. . . either SMU or Mt. A, I think.

Good Luck!

Archived