Premed 101 Forums

Autobiographical Info

Guest DancingDoc

Guest DancingDoc

Hi, I'm trying to figure out what exactly to write for the MUN essay. The question is: "Write an autobiographical sketch about who you are, how you spend your time and why." It does not say to, but should we relate this to why we want to be a doctor and what we have done to prepare for becoming a doctor? Or.... are they quite simply asking what do you like to do (i.e. I dance, volunteer here, work here, etc, etc and this is why)?

Thanks, any help would be geratly appreciated!!! 8o

Jen

Guest Madz25

Hey there,

I'm having a hard time answering that question too. I don't think that they would want you to talk about why you want to be a doctor since the 2nd question pertains to that. I think the committee just wants to get an idea of what kind of person you are, what activities you enjoy etc.

Madz

I think for most applicants, a fair amount of their activities (academic, employed, volunteer) are loosely centred around the world of medicine, or are at least tangentially related. So in this case, the things you're doing directly relate to your interest in medicine, and it would certainly be beneficial to discuss that.

Of course, we all have interests outside of this. I'd be hard pressed to find some link between my interest in snowboarding, and my interest in medicine. Still, the fact that I spend hours upon hours on a freezing hillside is a large part of who I am, so it's important to at least mention it. You can also look at it a little outside of the box - you're dedicated to an activity (say, playing parcheesi) and like to perform at a high level (were selected for the international parcheesi tournament). Even though it doesn't relate to being a doctor, it shows that you're able to commit to something, and can take your skills far.

Guest ummahumm

Hey guys!

I was just wondering if any accepted med students have any suggestions on this section? I'm just wondering if I should talk about myself in a general sense or relate it to my interest in medicine?

Guest clinicalchief

I would suggest focusing your answer around who you are OUTSIDE your interest of medicine. Ronin had some pretty good points. This section of your application where you can really show that you are unique. You want to tell them things about yourself that will impress them. Lets face it - we can probably agree that alot of people will have similar answers to "why do you want to be a doctor?" but "tell me about yourself" can go in so many different directions. I've seen answers to this question that start as narratives, or with famous quotes etc...Use it to sell yourself to the admissions committee. My answer to that question focused on what skills I have and where I acquired them, what I like to do outside of school and why, and things about my personality that probably don't shine through in the other parts of the application (ie, I volunteered for 5 years at XYZ foundation...).

Don't worry about plugging your motivation to do medicine, it will shine through your application as a whole and you will have plenty of room to do this at the interview.

Good Luck

cc

Archived