Premed 101 Forums

Masters in Physiology vs. PT

Hi everyone,

I graduated from U of T last year with a cGPA of 3.52 on OMSAS scale and the GPA breakdown is as follows: 1st year: 3.17, 2nd year (4.5 courses): 3.27, 3rd year: 3.92 and 4th year: 3.89). Currently, I am taking an year off and preparing for MCAT which I will be writing this Jan. and thinking of taking some prereq courses for US med schools starting next semester (Jan 2012) and will apply to both Canadian and US schools next year. I am also thinking of applying to PT this year since I don't want to waste the time in between. I am also enrolled in masters in physiology which I can start this Jan., but I don't think it will take me anywhere and neither would it make any significant improvement in my application (except at U of T may be).

To do some degree in that one or two years I will have, I am debating between PT or masters in physiology. Personally, I am inclined towards PT since its a professional grad unlike physiology masters, but I am not sure how will med. schools look at it? Also, I have heard that people get asked a lot of questions about their professional grad programs during the interviews and why do they still want to get into med? I am really scared since I don't want it to be working against me, although I see it clearly has an advantage over masters since its professional at least. What would you suggest I should do?

Any input will be greatly appreciated!

I'd say do PT. It gives you a very solid back-up for meds. An MSc these days is useful, but with the job market crap, if meds doesn't work out, your options aren't going to be as secure as with a PT degree.

I don't think any adcom would have a problem with it at all. It asked, you can explain that it's a backup, it interests you and still allows you to work in the healthcare field if meds doesn't happen. Personally, I'd say that would make your application stronger, not weaker.

To be honest, I think you're marginally competitive for PT, and is something that you should not bank on. Assuming you're looking into Ontario for med, you're limited in options as well (depending on geographical status of course).

You're likely not going to be a competitive candidate at UofT or Mac, and Ottawa is a definite out. Western is a possibility if you can get an 11 in VR, but this is again something that should not necessarily be counted on.

However, I do think you have a few options, a fifth year may provide the grades to open up Ottawa as an option, and you could always meet the MCAT cutoffs for Western. American schools are probably less likely than you think given your gpa, as you'd probably need a very high MCAT to compensate.

You could always do a second UG degree, many people have found this to be a suitable option, especially given the fact that you've shown you can be successful.

As for the masters programs, I don't think there's any good reason to favor a professional school over a research education. In fact, the research aspect is likely to be more relevant to your applications. That being said, I don't think either of these choices is that great of an option of you if you're dead-set on med. The potential benefit of a better undergrad gpa(2nd UG), far offsets the benefits of a Masters for Ontario med schools.

Hi everyone,

To do some degree in that one or two years I will have, I am debating between PT or masters in physiology. Personally, I am inclined towards PT since its a professional grad unlike physiology masters, but I am not sure how will med. schools look at it? Also, I have heard that people get asked a lot of questions about their professional grad programs during the interviews and why do they still want to get into med? I am really scared since I don't want it to be working against me, although I see it clearly has an advantage over masters since its professional at least. What would you suggest I should do?

Any input will be greatly appreciated!

I would think carefully about doing PT as a backup to medicine. It's a very different field. If you really want to do medicine, do everything you can to get into it first. If you would be happy doing PT, then go that route - but it probably won't improve your application to medicine that much. That said, I agree with the posts above in that your chance of getting into PT (or OT) would be very high.

Unfortunately your chances in Ontario will be very heavily dependent on your MCAT score. If you don't meet Western/Queen's cutoffs, you're kind of pooched unless you are willing to complete a Master's and THEN do a fifth undergrad year or second undergrad.

You might also consider going into a PA program or international. The latter option is certainly risky, but if you're open to doing family med in the states, that's probably your quickest and most certain route into medicine.

I'm a PhD student in the Physiology department at U of T. Based on what I have seen from the Master's student of previous year, about 50% of them who applied to med school got in.

I can't comment on PT because I personally think that having a PT and then going for med will require some explanation for the admin committee, but going for Master's is not necessarily a positive thing either.

Graduate admission into med school particularly U of T medicine depends a lot on your research productivity. If you go through the graduate program approach, then application for medical school will be focused on your publication record. Evaluation of your performance will be based on your scientific success and these are generally based on number of publication, conferences, and abstracts you have. If you have a productive research record, then going for a Master's wouldn't be a bad choice.

I recommend to evaluate your strengths (whether it's clinical or research) and go with that.

Archived