Premed 101 Forums

SMP for Canadians worthwhile?

ryanmtl

Hey everyone,

I had posted this question in another forum and realized it's probably better suited here...

I'm trying to come up with a backup plan, in case I don't get accepted to any med schools next application cycle and I happened to read about SMPs in the US and was wondering if they were a good option for Canadians? What I mean is, given their cost vs the statistics of Canadians accepted at American allopathic schools (not very good), will a SMP really give a Canadian applicant an edge in getting an acceptance to an American allopathic school?

The alternative to an SMP for me would be an Irish medical school, and given what I've read regarding the residency situation for IMGs, this route is looking less and less attractive

Any thoughts??? Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey,

I was deciding the same thing in my 4th year of undergrad in Canada. I graduated in 2010 and ended up going to RFUMS' BMS program. It was the best decision I ever made.

You take 4 medical school courses with Chicago Medical School students (so if you get in, you get a relaxed 1st year of medical school where you are free to puruse yet another masters) You are also granted an automatic interview with Chicago Medical School (the medical school at RFUMS) given that you hand in your AMCAS on time.

RFUMS has the best special masters program in all of North America in terms of the number of students who end up getting into medical school, last year about 90 out of 110 students (myself included) got into CMS. Which SMP can boast those stats??

Chicago Medical School had the highest board scores of any medical school in Illinois (beating Northwestern, UChicago) and has an awesome match list.

I am a green card holder/permanent resident but there were at least 6 other Canadians in my class. Since RFUMS is a private university where you were born, visa status doesn't matter. This year there were even more Canadians came to the BMS program.

Problem with the SMP programs is cost. You're shelling out quite a bit of money for a masters that may end up being completely useless. Your chances of getting in to med school the next year are not guaranteed. However, if you work hard, and end up matriculating, it may be worth it. It is a risk you're taking. But if you GPA wasn't good enough the first time around and you're convinced it's due to personal circumstances and you're sure you can succeed, it may be worthwhile to pursue it.

Moo is right...it is expensive and no guarantees but but it is a better option in my opinion than going to Europe (the only alternative if you can't get into Cdn/U.S. medical schools)

The total cost of the BMS program at RFUMS was approxiamtely 50 grand (38,000 tuition + 11,000 living expense) but this is comparable to Irish medical / UK medical schools

You get a masters of science....and a lighter courseload in first year as a M-1 with advanced standing (you take 4 medical school courses in your BMS year)....and you are elligible to do yet another masters to make you competitive for residences (masters of healthcare administration and management)

You are guaranteed an interview (if you hand in AMCAs on time) and last year 90 out of 110 got into Chicago Medical School from the BMS program...I can't comment on the other SMPs but RFUMS BMS program ist he real thing for sure...

The bottom line is if you belong in medical school you will rock a SMP...if you don't then you find out (the expensive way) that you are not suited for medical school.

I believe in the real world the masters of science (or arts) you get from a SMP is completely useless....but it is a MSc. nonetheless and nobody knows the difference until they dig deeper..

Problem with the SMP programs is cost. You're

shelling out quite a bit of money for a masters that may end up being completely useless. Your chances of getting in to med school the next year are not guaranteed. However, if you work hard, and end up matriculating, it may be worth it. It is a risk you're taking. But if you GPA wasn't good enough the first time around and you're convinced it's due to personal circumstances and you're sure you can succeed, it may be worthwhile to pursue it.

• 3 months later...

Thanks guys for the replies...

I'm in a bit of a unique circumstance in that I'm doing a second undergrad degree after switching careers from accounting to pursuing medicine. Maybe you can give me your opinion.. i'll post my stats in chronological order...

1st undergrad

- Bachelor of commerce - 3.56 (2004-2008)

- Wasn't very serious, didn't apply myself as hard as I could

Graduate degree

- Diploma in chartered accountancy (2009)

- I withdrew from program following medical issues and change of career = horrible GPA!

2nd undergrad

- Bachelor of science (bio major/psyc minor)- 3.90 (2010-present)

- All med. prereq courses completed, took 5-6 courses per semester...

I have ECs that include research (no pubs.), and work in a surgical education center. I'll be going to volunteer in a hospital in Ghana for a month in May.

I'll be writing my mcat in August this year.

With my stats, I feel in bit lost in where I stack up in terms of getting in anywhere. I know I'm capable, but due to my past choices (previous record - namely my grad degree), I'm not sure how it will affect my chances...

Any opinions would be greatly appreciated!

With a GPA of >3.5, you shouldn't really do a SMP. If you can get >32 on the MCAT, you should get in somewhere. A MCAT of 28-32 makes you gold for DO schools and maybe MD schools. SMP is generally for people who's GPA is really low (<3.3).

Thanks guys for the replies...

I'm in a bit of a unique circumstance in that I'm doing a second undergrad degree after switching careers from accounting to pursuing medicine. Maybe you can give me your opinion.. i'll post my stats in chronological order...

1st undergrad

- Bachelor of commerce - 3.56 (2004-2008)

- Wasn't very serious, didn't apply myself as hard as I could

Graduate degree

- Diploma in chartered accountancy (2009)

- I withdrew from program following medical issues and change of career = horrible GPA!

2nd undergrad

- Bachelor of science (bio major/psyc minor)- 3.90 (2010-present)

- All med. prereq courses completed, took 5-6 courses per semester...

I have ECs that include research (no pubs.), and work in a surgical education center. I'll be going to volunteer in a hospital in Ghana for a month in May.

I'll be writing my mcat in August this year.

With my stats, I feel in bit lost in where I stack up in terms of getting in anywhere. I know I'm capable, but due to my past choices (previous record - namely my grad degree), I'm not sure how it will affect my chances...

Any opinions would be greatly appreciated!

Archived