Premed 101 Forums

Personal Statement for caribbean schools.... help.

Caribbean schools

1. How important is the personal statement? Do they even seriously consider it to decide if they'll accept you? I'd imagine it's all about your marks really.

2. I don't even know where to begin on the personal statement. What am I supposed to answer?

Is the question, "Why are you a good candidate for medical school?"

Is the question, "Why did you choose medicine?"

I just am so confused on what to write. Ahh.

Does anyone have a good example personal statement to give me an idea?

As an applicant to 31 US schools, I had to write >50 essays, some of them over two pages single spaced, for secondary application. The topics varied a lot, from "What is the most fun you've ever had?" (Keck) to "Have you ever struggled with being honest and compassionate at the same time?" (Minnesota - Duluth), but thankfully I went through so many personal life experiences, like a medical volunteer trip to Angola or family financial crisis and parents divorce in my undergrad, and immigration from South Korea to Canada at early childhood, etc, so most of the questions were somewhat related to my personal history.

So, to answer your questions:

1. There must be a reason people include personal statement section in the application. It may not be the most important part in terms of judging your candidacy for med school, but it is there for a reason, possibly to get to know you from something that has not been mentioned in the other part of the application, or something you want to stress about, like your strong point. (medical volunteer trip to Africa in my case). This is your moment to shine.

2. Begin by brainstorming, just like what you have been doing with writing your essays for high school class or term papers for undergrad English course. To begin the answer to the question "Why are you a good candidate for medical school?", be as honest with yourself as possible: what is it that you have that other people don't? Come up with some general ideas, and narrow it down to specifics.

For me, it would be months long experiences in rural areas of Brazil and Angola and hardship I had to go through, and what I learned from those experiences. Relate the points to the question by addressing that thanks to such experience I have become more sensitive to the global population health condition, and something like that.

In the same line, be honest to yourself re: question why did you choose medicine? EXCEPT don't say things like, I wanna be rich, powerful, etc. This is a major pitfall where honesty ruins everything. I remember one of the US schools asking in the secondary, scroll down the list of the rationale behind your choice of career in medicine, and there were like money, fame, power, etc, 6 options and at the end, "being able to help others". I chose only the last, but left the other 6 blank.

I highly recommend "Medical School Essays that Made a Difference" by Princeton Review. Its like $12 off the Amazon, and imagine how much it's going to be worth if you end up putting together a good piece of writing at the end.

As an applicant to 31 US schools, I had to write >50 essays, some of them over two pages single spaced, for secondary application. The topics varied a lot, from "What is the most fun you've ever had?" (Keck) to "Have you ever struggled with being honest and compassionate at the same time?" (Minnesota - Duluth), but thankfully I went through so many personal life experiences, like a medical volunteer trip to Angola or family financial crisis and parents divorce in my undergrad, and immigration from South Korea to Canada at early childhood, etc, so most of the questions were somewhat related to my personal history.

So, to answer your questions:

1. There must be a reason people include personal statement section in the application. It may not be the most important part in terms of judging your candidacy for med school, but it is there for a reason, possibly to get to know you from something that has not been mentioned in the other part of the application, or something you want to stress about, like your strong point. (medical volunteer trip to Africa in my case). This is your moment to shine.

2. Begin by brainstorming, just like what you have been doing with writing your essays for high school class or term papers for undergrad English course. To begin the answer to the question "Why are you a good candidate for medical school?", be as honest with yourself as possible: what is it that you have that other people don't? Come up with some general ideas, and narrow it down to specifics.

For me, it would be months long experiences in rural areas of Brazil and Angola and hardship I had to go through, and what I learned from those experiences. Relate the points to the question by addressing that thanks to such experience I have become more sensitive to the global population health condition, and something like that.

In the same line, be honest to yourself re: question why did you choose medicine? EXCEPT don't say things like, I wanna be rich, powerful, etc. This is a major pitfall where honesty ruins everything. I remember one of the US schools asking in the secondary, scroll down the list of the rationale behind your choice of career in medicine, and there were like money, fame, power, etc, 6 options and at the end, "being able to help others". I chose only the last, but left the other 6 blank.

I highly recommend "Medical School Essays that Made a Difference" by Princeton Review. Its like $12 off the Amazon, and imagine how much it's going to be worth if you end up putting together a good piece of writing at the end.

Ah, some stated exactly what they want:

The limit is from 1-2 pages for most.

I'm having some difficulty coming up with strong answers still..

Ah, some stated exactly what they want:

"The personal statement indicates your (A) purpose for considering a career in medicine; (B) Why you would be an asset to our University; © Significant activities or accomplishments, personal interests, unique aspects of your premedical preparation and any additional information that would help the Admissions Committee in the evaluation of your application. "

The limit is from 1-2 pages for most.

I'm having some difficulty coming up with strong answers still..

You can't possibly come with a perfect idea about what you are going to write in your personal statement. It takes time, just like any other piece of work. People here aren't your private English tutor who can provide you with a perfect piece of writing specimen while you are clueless about what you should do with your fingers stuck up in your nose. As I said, seek for writing assistance elsewhere: 1. the book I recommended 2. university writing help centre 3. private tutor 4. custom writing service

GL

You can't possibly come with a perfect idea about what you are going to write in your personal statement. It takes time, just like any other piece of work. People here aren't your private English tutor who can provide you with a perfect piece of writing specimen while you are clueless about what you should do with your fingers stuck up in your nose. As I said, seek for writing assistance elsewhere: 1. the book I recommended 2. university writing help centre 3. private tutor 4. custom writing service

GL

Wow, that was mean-spirited.

Anyway, your advice was helpful macstjo, and I already wrote up a personal statement and I'm in the process of refining it.

I'll definitely consider buying that book also.

Man, btw, you have serious experience. You applied to 31 US schools plus international? I tip my hat to you.

I'm dying to know where you'll get acceptances/rejections.

Wow, that was mean-spirited.

Anyway, your advice was helpful macstjo, and I already wrote up a personal statement and I'm in the process of refining it.

I'll definitely consider buying that book also.

Man, btw, you have serious experience. You applied to 31 US schools plus international? I tip my hat to you.

I'm dying to know where you'll get acceptances/rejections.

If I were mean-spirited, I wouldn't have even bothered leaving a comment.

I'll let you know for sure.

Archived