Premed 101 Forums

The SMP is worthwhile in the U.S.

drake19

I am writing this because I remember when I was in 4th year.....I really had no idea where i was headed...

I ended up applying to just one SMP program at RFUMS/Chicago Medical School (CMS) and I thank the heavens that I applied and ended up matriculating. For those of you who don't know what an SMP program is...SMP stands for "Special Masters Program". There are quite a few in the United States that help to improve your stats for gettting into medical school.

Just a little background about RFUMS/CMS....Chicago Med (CMS) students had the highest average board scores of any school in Illinois, beating the more "prestigious" schools such as Northwestern and UChicago. If you look at CMS' match list, it is very impressive, a large number of students end up getting into emergency med, radiology, orthopedic surgery...

But about the SMP program at RFUMS/CMS, which is called the BMS program....you take 4 medical school courses ....last year about 90 out of 110 students got in...no school can boast those stats...

Because RFUMS is a private univeristy they could care less where you were born, their policy clearly states that...and there are quite a few Cdns here at the medical school AND the SMP program.

I am currnetly a first year medical student but having gone through the SMP program I am called an M-1 with advanced standing ....I have a reduced course load (because I took 4 medical school courses already) and am free to pursue yet another masters...so I am graduating with a M.Sc. and a M.H.C.M. (masters of healthcare administration) in addition to that M.D.

For more information go to the RFUMS website to look for the BMS program...RFUMS' SMP program is by far and above the best SMP program for getting students into a high quality medical school.

• 2 months later...

How hard is it to get A's in the medical school classes? What percentage of the class gets A's? I'm just trying to gauge the difficulty level of the SMP.

Also, I'm trying to decide between going DO and doing the SMP, what would you do now that you've gone through the SMP?

Archived