Premed 101 Forums

Does full course load matter?

I was just deemed ineligible by UofA because Ive never taken a 30 credit course load. Ive taken 27 but not 30. Ive made my peace with that but Im wondering if anyone here knows of people who got interviews that didnt have a full course load per year? Would it make a difference if graduate work is done? Thanks.

They clearly say on their website under the academic requirements that "There is no requirement that applicants carry a full course load".

• 3 weeks later...
I believe it could come up in your interview and work against you, depending on your reasons.

Due to the format of Mac's interviews I doubt that your course load would come up unless you raise it yourself.

The interview is an MMI meaning there is only one question per station and it is the same for each applicant. I can't imagine how they could formulate a question about your course load that would be generally applicable to all applicants.

Furthermore, I'm fairly sure that the people who evaluate you do not have access to your application and so have no way of knowing your course load.

I suppose your course load could come up if you make it to the 'file review' stage (that's where people actually look at your application) but I've never heard any indication that Mac cares about course load and so I doubt they would give it much weight.

They don't mind. I had to split up my semesters to add an extra one because a professor failed me in fall 2010 for not showing up because I was busy giving birth. I made sure she got her due punishment. I had made arrangements with every other prof to write the exam on a separate date so I could bring my son but she wouldn't budge. Now I couldn't go back for 1 course so I balanced it to create a whole new semester with 4 courses.

What gets me is the schools that don't accept summer courses. I am forced to work through the year without stopping because if I do, I will lose my funding and my kids will lose their spots in their amazing daycare.

They don't mind. I had to split up my semesters to add an extra one because a professor failed me in fall 2010 for not showing up because I was busy giving birth. I made sure she got her due punishment. I had made arrangements with every other prof to write the exam on a separate date so I could bring my son but she wouldn't budge. Now I couldn't go back for 1 course so I balanced it to create a whole new semester with 4 courses.

What gets me is the schools that don't accept summer courses. I am forced to work through the year without stopping because if I do, I will lose my funding and my kids will lose their spots in their amazing daycare.

Wow what a cruel prof! :|

Is that your son in the picture??

Yep, thats my little guy. Hes a year now but I just love that picture!

Medbat - me or her? lol... she doesn't teach that course anymore and is secluded at our lesser known campus where she can torment anyone who desires to visit her I suppose.

Obviously not you =).

Scheduled at our "lesser known campus".... that's too bad for her =(.

Or maybe your prof didn't believe in giving some students special treatment.

Yep, thats my little guy. Hes a year now but I just love that picture!

Medbat - me or her? lol... she doesn't teach that course anymore and is secluded at our lesser known campus where she can torment anyone who desires to visit her I suppose.

Oh my gosh, he is adorable!!! I wanna pinch his cheeks :P

Congratulations on being a mother while applying to medicine :)

• 2 weeks later...
Or maybe your prof didn't believe in giving some students special treatment.

OR maybe she didn't have children so she couldn't empathize.

Seriously, would you have preferred me to bring in my colicky breast feeding son?

All I wanted was to write, in a separate room, at the same time on the same date. What is your issue?

Oh my gosh, he is adorable!!! I wanna pinch his cheeks :P

Congratulations on being a mother while applying to medicine :)

Thank you so much! I don't want to be another college drop out. I use my situation to motivate me to keep going. When I am finally done, I hope the babies are so proud of me. I love that you're going into paeds. I want to as well due to a little boy who just passed away named Tripp Roth. He captured my soul and I will never forget him. Good luck!

Archived