Premed 101 Forums

McMaster grading system/courses?

Hello all,

I just read somewhere that McMaster has no exams and I was quite puzzled! I've spent about an hour looking at the McMaster site and using the search here but I haven't been able to come up with much to answer my questions so any insight you guys might have would be greatly appreciated :)

1) Does McMaster have exams? (I'm guessing no?)

2) If not, how are courses 'graded' and 'tested'? From what I gathered from the McMaster website its a combination of self assessment and peer assessment? (can anyone elaborate on how this works?)

3) If there is no form of examination then how do you get 'tested' on stuff? How does the school know that you 'know' your stuff? (Because surely they cant ask you all the questions that an exam would have in class?)

4) Also, how do classes work? From my understanding there are no lectures? Just modules?

Am I totally off with this info? I would appreciate any and all info :)

P.S. Anyone know where I can get a lot of in depth info? The official website hasn't been as helpful as I would have liked

thanks!

I just read somewhere that McMaster has no exams and I was quite puzzled! I've spent about an hour looking at the McMaster site and using the search here but I haven't been able to come up with much to answer my questions so any insight you guys might have would be greatly appreciated :)

1) Does McMaster have exams? (I'm guessing no?)

McMaster has a PPI which is a MCQ exam encompassing all information expected to be taught over the course of the three year curriculum. You will have your first write in Sept/Oct of your first year and I believe the average on the exam is around 10-15%. The purpose of the PPI is to serve as a benchmark/indicator of your progress and to assess your knowledge retention.

Every 3ish weeks you should have a CAE. The CAE is a written exam with on average 6 questions focused on recently covered course material. They are usually focused on questions that haven't been explicitly covered in lecture/tutorial and require principle knowledge of the material in order to do well.

Like other medical schools we also have OSCEs which are your clinical exams. These require you to perform physicals/histories on standardized patients.

We also get some tests on professional competency material (informed consent/communication).

2) If not, how are courses 'graded' and 'tested'? From what I gathered from the McMaster website its a combination of self assessment and peer assessment? (can anyone elaborate on how this works?)

To my knowledge none of the medical schools in Canada submit grades to your transcript. What's done at mac is your tutorial leader will submit a paragraph synopsis of your progress/skill/comprehension/etc at the end of each medical foundation. This paragraph is based on your documented performance throughout the term as demonstrated through tutorials and examinations. In addition clinical skills preceptors will also be able to add information regarding your performance in the clinical setting.

3) If there is no form of examination then how do you get 'tested' on stuff? How does the school know that you 'know' your stuff? (Because surely they cant ask you all the questions that an exam would have in class?)

They use the above methods. The CAE and PPI can be used to red flag individuals that are performing consistently below class average. They will then be remediated.

4) Also, how do classes work? From my understanding there are no lectures? Just modules?

Most of the pre-clerkship work is done outside of class. In terms of lectures, these occur typically twice a week and last for around 3-4 hours each. Your bread and butter are the small group tutorial sessions which happen twice a week and cover the major concepts.

Am I totally off with this info? I would appreciate any and all info :)

P.S. Anyone know where I can get a lot of in depth info? The official website hasn't been as helpful as I would have liked

Thanks so much for your quick reply!

This definitely moves McMaster up my list! Also I was wondering if you could tell me about the 'scheduling'? Both in terms of summer and in the year.

So during the school year how does your schedule look like? Get up at 8am for class/or clinic? How long are they? how does your week look like? Do you spend more time at the hospital or at McMaster? (especially first year)

Also how do summers work? From my understanding the program is 3 years because it cuts into the summer. Does this mean you have no time off? What about around christmas?

Thanks so much for all your help :) :) :)

Thanks so much for your quick reply!

This definitely moves McMaster up my list! Also I was wondering if you could tell me about the 'scheduling'? Both in terms of summer and in the year.

So during the school year how does your schedule look like? Get up at 8am for class/or clinic? How long are they? how does your week look like? Do you spend more time at the hospital or at McMaster? (especially first year)

Also how do summers work? From my understanding the program is 3 years because it cuts into the summer. Does this mean you have no time off? What about around christmas?

Thanks so much for all your help :) :) :)

There's definitely weeks off here and there. We get at least 2 weeks off during summer time to do what you want.

Average week isn't too bad in terms of official class time. Lectures are usually Monday and Friday and start around 830. These vary in length but may end at noon or slightly before. Tutorial is twice a week and is generally considered a time to review the material that you have already read about outside of class. You discuss the material for 3 hours per tutorial and its generally used just to clarify concepts and ensure everything was appropriately covered. Anatomy is a little light, but a number of tutorial groups schedule unofficial anatomy sessions with the professors in the lab. Officially there is an anatomy and clinical skills session every 3 weeks which lasts for around 3-4 hours I believe. Every week you'll have a Professional Competency which is a blend of lecture/small group time and lasts for 3 hours. Additionally you will have clinical skills once a week for 3 hours. Outside of this I find the majority of people set up time for electives in certain specialties. Overall the schedule is very manageable during pre-clerkship.

Average week isn't too bad in terms of official class time. Lectures are usually Monday and Friday and start around 830. These vary in length but may end at noon or slightly before. Tutorial is twice a week and is generally considered a time to review the material that you have already read about outside of class. You discuss the material for 3 hours per tutorial and its generally used just to clarify concepts and ensure everything was appropriately covered. Anatomy is a little light, but a number of tutorial groups schedule unofficial anatomy sessions with the professors in the lab. Officially there is an anatomy and clinical skills session every 3 weeks which lasts for around 3-4 hours I believe. Every week you'll have a Professional Competency which is a blend of lecture/small group time and lasts for 3 hours. Additionally you will have clinical skills once a week for 3 hours. Outside of this I find the majority of people set up time for electives in certain specialties. Overall the schedule is very manageable during pre-clerkship.

whaaat, jealous. We had 47hrs of anatomy lecture an 90hrs of mandatory anatomy lab this past semester!! (clinical skills is 4hrs/wk every friday)

Yeah I've always wondered about the anatomy since it seems like such a cornerstone of medicine. I'd agree with their idea of extensive anatomical knowledge being almost without purpose, but their is a certain level of understanding that's required (which is why I book my own sessions).

Also that 4 hour session is kind of an extra clin skills session. We get them once per week for 3 hours like I mentioned

• 4 weeks later...

Archived