Premed 101 Forums

Applying for summer research positions

Unknown

Hi Everyone,

So I just finished my first semester of undergrad and am looking for summer studentship programs that will allow me to do research in the summer and make a bit of money. I was wondering if I should apply for one then one of these positions and then possibly have to reject some of them if I get more than one position. I realize it is really difficult to get a position after only one year of undergraduate work but any advice you guys have would be great :)

It may be tough to get a spot after your first year, but there are a couple of things you can do. It may be useful to take a lab course and learn how to do basic stuff like PCR, gels, basic experimental design etc. (If possible in your schedule, or something to think about for the summer or next year). Start emailing departments and supervisors now, many deadlines for summer student programs are in Jan/Feb. It may come down to getting an unpaid position for the first summer to get your foot in the door somewhere and get some experience, but it will set you up for summers to come.

At one point after my master's I emailed over 40 people looking for a position, and I'm not exaggerating, but only 4 people emailed me back.... and two of them to say they were too busy to consider me.... and then I had two interviews. It was ridiculous, this was after my masters even! Research can be very competitive (of course it varies with your location and research interests), so when you are just starting out it can be hard to get your foot in the door. You need to build those crucial basic skills so that you move from being someone that people in the lab have to supervise and train, to someone who is actually useful and can do things on their own.

So keep your options open, email everyone you are remotely interested in working with. Worst case you get multiple job offers and have to turn some down. Good luck!

Archived