Premed 101 Forums

Paying for CaRMS

I was just going through my finances tonight and I don't understand how I'm suppose to go to 12 interviews throughout the country and not go massively into debt. Flights are costing me $800 round trip to some locations. Any tips out there for saving money? Are people using their lines of credit and student loans together? My next student loan disbursement is Feb 1st...

I was just going through my finances tonight and I don't understand how I'm suppose to go to 12 interviews throughout the country and not go massively into debt. Flights are costing me $800 round trip to some locations. Any tips out there for saving money? Are people using their lines of credit and student loans together? My next student loan disbursement is Feb 1st...

I put it on the line of credit.

Train, public transit, scour travel websites for cheapest hotel/airfares, pack a loaf of bread with you to minimize eating out.

The flights really hurt you. And if you coming from, or applying to positions outside of Ontario/Quebec you need to fly.

One thing you quickly learn as a resident/senior med student is nobody really cares about you (except maybe your own program) and every single organization is gonna nickel and dime you to death. It's awful but true. For many groups you are a source of revenue or budget savings.

I came across these promo codes for flights Ontario <--> East.

http://www.westjet.com/guest/en/deals/promo-code/promo-2.shtml?i_cid=wj-home-skl-ac-pc-ge-2011226

http://cfms.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=130&Itemid=540

I've been hitting up friends, family, cousins twice removed, ect for places to stay.

mmmm..loaf of bread.

-TS

I came across these promo codes for flights Ontario <--> East.

http://www.westjet.com/guest/en/deals/promo-code/promo-2.shtml?i_cid=wj-home-skl-ac-pc-ge-2011226

http://cfms.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=130&Itemid=540

I've been hitting up friends, family, cousins twice removed, ect for places to stay.

mmmm..loaf of bread.

-TS

Porter has a 50% off sale on if you book before jan 6. Promo code BOX50

But if you want to get that residency position in the first round and not have to apply to the detritus composed of mainly rural family, prairie psych and path spots in the second round, you'd best use your family's money, LOC or whatever else you can to pay for your flights.

Hey I usually love your posts but don't call path spots ''detritus'' !!!

Debt financing. It's not the end of the world.

But why is it always about the money... what about the healthcare system? ;)

Do what you love, love what you do, and don't pay for crazy $hit that you don't need in the first 5-10 years of residency/fellowship/staff and you should be living ok with great street cred regardless of your specialty... unless you were hotelling, first-classing, or ghostwriting it straight through Canadian med school/electives.

Those from abroad or with dependents going in duly excluded, but hopefully you recognize the price of having the privilege to study medicine before digging too deep.

Carms sucks. Hoi polloi will tell you that the costs are small in relation to your future income. I say bollocks. Compound interest certainly is a cruel mistress.

But if you want to get that residency position in the first round and not have to apply to the detritus composed of mainly rural family, prairie psych and path spots in the second round, you'd best use your family's money, LOC or whatever else you can to pay for your flights.

By the way is it true that money from the UofT Toronto Notes funds elective and CaRMS costs for UofT students?

60% of expenses, up to a max of $2000.00 is covered. Approximately.

It depends on the financial state of Toronto Notes Corporation..

Archived