Premed 101 Forums

To the nurses out there

Guest Zilch

Guest Zilch

Just wondering what kind of salaries nurses earn to start and then after several years?

Is nursing a hard degree to do?

Finally does doing nursing help a person get into med school? Do you complete the prereq's ie Chem, Bio, Phy covered during the nursing degree?

Guest iamanurse

Due to the fact that this is a PreMed/Med Student Forum, I feel that I should inform you that there are Nursing Forums also available. You may wish to look into them to find more specific answers to some of your questions. (How's that, Ian? - can I stay now??? haha)

But I certainly do not mind answering your questions...

In Ontario, a starting Nurse earns $21.75/hr to start. After eight years (of annual increases) the Nurse is at the top of the payscale and earns $32.71/hr. A full-time Nurse works 75 hrs per week (not counting the ever present overtime opportunities). You may want to visit http://www.ona.org to more detailed info regarding work conditions for Ontario Nurses.

As for the difficulty of completing a Nursing Degree - I think it compares to completing any other type of degree. What I mean is that if you are doing something that you really want to do (ie: are really interested in it) then you can't possibly fail. Due to the number of assignments due, time spent in clinical settings, and continuous studying - time management becomes paramount. However, having said this - it is still possible to have a social life, work a side job, and manage a family. As stated earlier - I totally believe that if a person wants something bad enough - they will get it.

I myself am an RN who graduated from a three year college program. Because I am now wanting to go on to medical school I am having to complete my degree at university. Virtually none of the prerequisites for med school were obtained during my college education. I believe that it is possible to take several of the med prerequisites during a university nursing degree - however most of the courses offered in the nursing program are specific to nursing. Therefore you would still have to take more.

And, I must add, as stated in this forum time and time again - it is advised NOT to take a nursing degree in order to get into medicine. The old 'why did you take a seat/opportunity away from someone else when you knew you wanted to go to med school?' addage holds true. As someone who currently works in a field where there are literally not enough graduates to fill the enormous gaps I would urge you to consider this. As also stated in this forum previously - admission interviewers may in fact hold this against you. This may hinder my own attempts at getting into med school - but I'm refusing to give up at this point.

In summary - learn all you can about different health care career options, learn about the types of education offered for each, and then... carefully... decide which career path is for you.

Do as I say, not as do.....or have done. (haha!)

Good luck.

Archived