Premed 101 Forums

Research Project: Perceptions of the Admissions Process

Guest PeterHill0501

Guest PeterHill0501

Good morning everyone,

Many of you may know me from posts I have made in this forum. Aside from being an applicant, I am a seasoned market researcher.

After having gone through the admissions process, I realize that Canadian universities could greatly benefit from understanding how the admissions process affects candidates, how it could be made better and more comfortable/palatable for candidates to go through, and how through an understanding of factors driving candidate decisions, they could present a more desireable image to candidates with the ultimate goal of attracting more top talent to their med school programs.

Over the course of the next few months I will be collecting data from a variety of sources and would like candidates who frequent this site to have an opportunity to participate. I'm interested in getting feedback from candidates who have been accepted...those who have received rejections...those who have received interviews...those who have not...I'm interested in opinions of any candidates who have applied to ANY Canadian school, regardless of which school they have applied to, or whether they have received multiple offers or none. Any feedback you provide, like the posts in this forum, would be completely anonymous.

While I realize some people may be uncomfortable posting information in a public forum, please feel free to e-mail me directly from an anonymous account to provide feedback. If you click on my login name, you will see my private e-mail address.

My intention is to analyze all the data collected from candidates across the country, summarize it and publish it in the CMAJ and/or other major Canadian medical publications.

Here is some of the information that I am looking for in order to complete the first phase of this qualitative research:

Goals of the Research/Publication:

(1) helping universities understand how they can provide a better image to potential candidates, assuming they want to draw top talent;

(2) helping universities understand how their admissions process negatively affects candidates (both those who are and aren't extended offers) and what changes might avoid these negative outcomes;

(3) helping universities understand the positive aspects of their admissions process to ensure those characteristics are carried forward;

Providing such feedback would ultimately also help us (i.e., candidates) as, I believe, if handled correctly and tactfully, would inevitably cause universities to think and would likely affect how they handle/implement some aspects of the admissions process in the future. The key to this will be diplomacy and tact.

Following are the types of data that will be required to fulfill this phase of the research:

(1) Feedback can and should be about negative and positive things, but it has to be constructive...unconstructive feedback will be refined so that it's non-confrontational and constructive, if possible...totally useless, negative confrontational feedback will not be included;

(2) It would be helpful if, with your comments you indicate which schools you applied to, what specialty(ies) you plan on pursuing (if known) your status at each of the schools and your ultimate choice, if known, or desired choice if final status is not determined. Also, gender, ethnic background and age might be nice, as well with respect to stats.

(3) Feedback should include concrete, specific examples of something that is positive or negative about the admissions process (process, personnel, interviewers, admins, letters received, lack of feedback, etc.), how it made you FEEL as a candidate and what effect this aspect of the admissions process had/has on your perception of the school's meds program and how it ultimately affected your final decision. Feedback should also include suggestions for making the process better.

Once sufficient data are collected I will be summarizing the learning, by school, make recommendations for improvements and submit the research summary to the CMAJ and other publications for consideration.

Let's all keep in mind...that while the admissions process is competitive...and the universities evaluate us and decide whether we get an offer...we are also a valued resource and we have a choice of where we would like to attend as well. We should be treated fairly and with respect and as much as they are our 'customers' they are also ours.

Thank-you very much for your support. I look forward to receiving your feedback.

Best regards,

Peter

Guest browsing

>we are also a valued resource and we have a choice of where we would like to attend as well. We should be treated fairly and with respect and as much as they are our 'customers' they are also ours.

Sorry about posting a comment here, in fact I have never applied to medical school. The way I feel about med admissions is kinda like gasoline companies i.e. Shell, Esso. It's been quite some time since they have tried to compete with each other isn't it? And when the price at one corner goes up the other soon follows. Sure customers are important but cars have to fill up and roughly equal numbers end up at both stations.

Guest PeterHill0501

<!--EZCODE QUOTE START--><blockquote>Quote:<hr> And when the price at one corner goes up the other soon follows.<hr></blockquote><!--EZCODE QUOTE END-->

Yes...this is my point. Some aspects of each process are better than others...if one follows in a particular direction...others are more likely to follow.

<!--EZCODE QUOTE START--><blockquote>Quote:<hr> Sure customers are important but cars have to fill up and roughly equal numbers end up at both stations.<hr></blockquote><!--EZCODE QUOTE END-->

Do you have data on this? Customers absolutely do have to fill up...but the customer does have a choice of which station to go to, don't they? Unfortunately, I'm not sure if this is the best analog as gas/gas stations are somewhat of a commodity/necessity. Consumers are typically driven to find the lowest price for commodities, assuming products are about the same across vendors/manufacturers. I don't believe med schools, nor applicants are a commodity in any sense of the word...they are competitive (i.e., universities want to draw top talent)...and there is a limited amount of top talent, however that is defined.

Thanks for the input.

Peter

Guest PeterHill0501

In another forum I was asked to clarify the objectives of the research...here is the response I posted...I hope this helps.

Kirsteen,

Thanks for your support...I've been overwhelmed with the number of private e-mails I've been getting...great feedback, great ideas...

The purpose of this phase is really to uncover the range of issues (positive and negative) candidates from across the country have with respect to the admissions process. At this point, as I don't know what the range of issues are I don't want to assume anything. I am asking people to give feeback on whatever things they like and dislike about the process, how these things affect them (positively and negatively), how it affects their choice or perception of the school (if it does) and suggestions for things to keep in the process as well as things to change...and ideas with respect to how admissions at various universities might think about changing their process. As a researcher, I'm sure you can appreciate that when conducting behavioural research in a new area this type of research is conducted first to better understand the domain.

While this phase will yield interesting findings and provide universities with at least the major positive and negative issues to think about, a subsequent phase of this research, is being used to develop appropriate quantitative scales which reflect the issues/dimensions uncovered in the qualitative research. These scales will then be distributed to a representative sample of the target audience in the form of a questionnaire and proper estimates of the frequency and valence of people's reaction/perception to each dimension/issue of importance can be made.

So, in short, I don't want to influence the range of people's reactions right now. Any type of feedback (as long as it's not destructive and useless) is welcome at this point. I leave it completely open-ended and up to the particular respondent to determine what issues and feelings/perceptions they would like to talk about and what suggestions they would have for improving the system.

I look forward to your input.

Peter

Guest shkelo

You've probably thought of this, but your research would form the basis of a good publication for CMAJ (Canadian Medical Association Journal). You may need to get someone from the academic community/med school on your side, however, for input/access to med school data to produce a well-rounded discussion of these issues. There probably is a need here to re-investigate they way medical school admissions across the country work and make some conclusions/recommendations for change. A title like, "Are medical schools turning away good applicants?" People tend to take things seriously when it is written in black-and-white.

Guest PeterHill0501

I love it...you will get credit for the title...I have several friends in the community who are working with me on this. The first publication submission will likely be with CMAJ and also likely the Medical Post.

Peter

Guest jean chretien

i have one question .. where will you find the time to compile all this research, and how do you find the time to make all these posts?

you give helpful advice, but don't you have a job working for health canada? thats means it's tax payers paying for the time you spend on this forum ...

also with having kids and a wife who works as a doctor, you should be a really busy guy ...

anyways, just asking cuz i barely have the time to work, volunteer, exercise, and hang out with friends..

Guest PeterHill0501

jean,

my time is self-managed...I am evaluated at work on a milestone rather than a "time at desk" basis. Furthermore...I'm completely "wired" with wireless internet, cell phone, etc...so people making assumptions about where I am at any one time may be completely inaccurate... :) I also get to work between 5:30am and 6:00am...so a 7.5 hour day, should I be so lucky ends between 1:00pm and 1:30pm...I don't take lunch at work.

so how about some of your perceptions about the admissions processes at various schools you've applied to?

Guest shkelo

Peter, you should take a look at this article:

www.cmaj.ca/cgi/content/a...lcode=cmaj

Irfan A. Dhalla, Jeff C. Kwong, David L. Streiner, Ralph E. Baddour, Andrea E. Waddell, and Ian L. Johnson (2002) Characteristics of first-year students in Canadian medical schools. CMAJ 166: 1029-1035.

It uses a similar strategy to the one you suggest. They set up a website containing a questionaire and invited medical students to participate.

To make this work (and have some kind of scientific merit), the key is in the design of the questionaire as well as making sure that all respondants did in fact apply to medical school. The premise of the article and the method used will be very similar to the paper cited above. Take a look at it if you have access. If not, post me and I'll send you an electronic copy to your e-mail address.

Archived