Premed 101 Forums

what marks are looked at 4 interview?

Guest cp00739

Guest cp00739

to get an interview i'm assuming they only look at your first semeser marks, is that true?

secondly, when they finally rank students do what for the second term marks to come in and rank students or just based on the intreview score and just the first semester marks plus all other years??

thanks

cp00739,

you're going to need to specify which school you're asking about... i think i saw you posting in the Alberta forum, so I can tell you about U of A & U of C:

U of A: they look at pre-reqs and courses so far completed. if you haven't completed your pre-reqs in the first semester you are applying, i don't think you will get a Feb interview. They wait until your courses are nearly done and give you one in June or July. Your first and second term marks are looked at for admission, with the exception of those who are offered early admission (4th year applicants with an 8.0+ average who aced the interview)... they are given conditional acceptance, meaning they must maintain a good average in second term (if you've got an 8.5, I highly doubt you'd fail second term anyways).

U of C: they look at marks to date, essay and ECs to decide who gets an interview. They are pretty selective about who they're interviewing, meaning that if you get an interview, you have over a 50% chance of getting in (in prov). Only the first term marks are considered for acceptance.

hope this helps! are you waiting for an interview cp00739? if so, which school?

Guest shkelo

That's not quite true, EB. U of A ranks you according to MCAT scores, pre-req GPA and cGPA. Under the FAQs at the U of A med school admissions website, it states "How do you determine who is called for interview? We use the Cumulative Average of University Years completed, the Prerequisite course average and the MCAT average to determine whether or not you receive an interview."

Yup,

I forgot about the MCAT.... I was so busy making sure I got the point across that you need to be done your pre-reqs that I completely forgot.

But I'm thinking MCAT isn't a huge part on deciding who gets an interview (but it is worth 15% of the admission process) because I had a couple of friends with MCATS in the 28-30 range, with marks in the 8.0-8.5 range who are in second year get interviews... that doesn't really meet the profile of a second year student that's usually accepted (36+, 8.6+, etc.)... I mean, 28 is a lot lower than the mean score of those who have been admitted... and the benchmark is a lot higher for those without a degree...

...So, I'm starting to think that the U of A interviews you as long as you're done the MCAT... I think your score becomes more important after the interview...

Archived