Premed 101 Forums

EM residency in US, practice in Canada

Dany

Is it theoretically doable to finish a 2 year FM residency in Canada, then apply to an EM program (mostly 3 yrs) in US, then come back to Canada to function as (at least a CFPC-EM) full-time emergency doc?

I know that on can directly go to one additional year in CFPC-EM, but I also want to give myself the choice of practicing down the south

thanks!

Is it theoretically doable to finish a 2 year FM residency in Canada, then apply to an EM program (mostly 3 yrs) in US, then come back to Canada to function as (at least a CFPC-EM) full-time emergency doc?

I know that on can directly go to one additional year in CFPC-EM, but I also want to give myself the choice of practicing down the south

thanks!

You are looking at 5-6 years (depending if you end up in a 3 or 4 year US residency program). You could do the FRCPC emerg program, and be able to work in the US. So I am not sure the benefit of doing the family and then EM in the US. Unless you want to also do family.

So I am not sure the benefit of doing the family and then EM in the US. Unless you want to also do family.

that's my point, I may want to step back as FM at certain time.

My original question was actually: are fresh Canadian FM (2 yr) graduates allowed to apply to US EM residencies?

If so, will they be considered as IMG or AMG or previoius-year graduated AMGs?

thanks

thanks

now get back to my original question:

are fresh Canadian FM (2 yr) graduates allowed to apply to US EM residencies?

Why would you want to practice in the US?

It blows:

1. Much higher risk of being sued.

2. I'm pretty sure you make about the same in terms of money versus Canadian ER MDs.

3. Lawsuits.

4. You have to live in the US.

Here's a little factoid: a family doctor in the US has about a 75 % chance of being sued throughout their career:

http://www.boston.com/Boston/whitecoatnotes/2011/08/study-finds-most-doctors-will-sued-for-malpractice/DuerSNalOWU4AH9NhALGOJ/index.html

Practicing as a full time US ER MD you are practically guaranteed to get sued.

Better call Saul.

Why would you want to practice in the US?

COz US is warmer :P

LOL whatever reason, I just said that I might want to move south one day down the road.

once again, can anyone help me with this:

are fresh Canadian FM (2 yr) graduates allowed to apply to US EM residencies?

For a question this specific you might have better luck talking to someone in an emergency medicine department who may have some involvement with hiring practices. I think it would vary a lot based on the hospital. After all, with the CCFP certification you have the legal ability to practice... it's a matter of if the hospital in question considered your US EM training sufficient to let you work with them.

thanks brooksbane,

though you misunderstood my question,

I asked whether Canadian FM graduates can apply to US EM residency - not directly ER doc spots,

otherwise said, can I do 2 yrs FM in Canada, then do 3 yrs EM residency in USA

if yes, will i be considered IMG, past-year AMG or what?

thanks

Archived