Premed 101 Forums

5th year undergrad?

Guest cp00739

Guest cp00739

does anyone know if this may help? does anyone know what schools count marks from your 5th year of undergrad?

secondly, would it be possible to just take a full course load for the first semester and work second semester, and still count the marks from the first semester of the 5th year?? (wow that was a mouthful)

thanks!

Guest aneliz

If you do a fifth year of undergrad, this will count as your 'last year' for Western. Western only looks at your best year and your last year. So, if your fourth year was crappy, doing a fifth year will make it disappear!

I don't know what happens at other schools but I assume that it will factor into your GPA in some way. Check out their websites or call them for more info.

Guest TimmyMax

Hey,

UWO will only look at your last full-time undergraduate year, meaning that for them to look at a 5th year, you'll have to take at least 5.0 courses.

Best of luck!

Tim

Hey there!

I did a 5th year as a Special Student Undergrad before applying to medical school. I really can't tell you how each individual school considered it. I believe UWO and maybe UofT are the only schools that outline how they deal with additional years of undergrad. I'm fairly certain that DAL also considers extra years as well. All I know is that it didn't hurt. I think its a good idea if you have some blips in your transcript you would like to take attention away from.

I did it because I had been away from university for a couple of years and was interested in taking some courses I hadn't done as part of my degree. Also, I wanted to demonstrate to the admissions committees that I was committed and could still handle the rigors of full-time university.

Good luck to you :)

Guest cp00739

does that fifth year have to be a full year of courses (5 first semester and 5 second semester)?

or can you just take 5 courses during first semester, which is what i want to do, i'd like to work after taking a few courses

thanks

I'm not really sure what would happen if you did half a year. Intuitively I would say that the admissions committee would probably consider it in some way. After all, it is a period of full-time study. The year I did was a full year. I wish I could tell you more. One thing we do know...a half year won't hurt you, but a full year would probably be better.

Have you contacted the schools regarding this?

Good Luck :)

Guest UWOMED2005

My take is a little different than cgb's. Med schools tend to be extremely rigid in their requirements, and my understanding is that unless you have 5.0 full credits for the WHOLE year, they won't consider it an academic year. At least I'm pretty sure that's the way Western would handle it - and as it wouldn't be considered a full academic year, it's unlikely to help you for UWO unless you do the full year. That's just my take though. . . you might want to check with admissions.

Guest Treebeard

Sorry for butting in, but I also have a question about taking a fifth year of undergraduate courses:

Will the fifth year only count if we're taking an extra year to complete our degree? Or, can it be the first year of a new undergraduate program?

Great forum, this is :)

My fifth year was not part of an undergraduate degree. I had completed my degree two years prior. I think doing this extra year helped my applications - without a doubt.

Good Luck :)

Guest cp00739

cgb,

what type of courses did you take in your fifth year? were they introductory or higher level courses

and for what schools did it help??

thanks alot!

Hey cp00739:

I took upper level (non-first year courses) courses. The courses ranged from second year to 4th year courses. I took courses such as: Gross anatomy, physiology, pharmacology, organic chem, history, a language course, and developmental psych.

I'm not too sure how each school considered this additional year. I know that UWO considered it for sure. I'm fairly certain DAL and possibly Queens considered it also. I think I mentioned previously that UofT also has a policy which allows consideration of 4 years of university. I really can't give you specifics regarding how it influenced my application at each school, but I really don't think my application would have been as strong without it.

I think my 5th year was pretty relevant in my applications as I had been out of university for almost 3 years before I applied. I think it helped demonstrate I was still able to handle a heavy course load despite having been out of the university setting for a few years, and also that I was committed to learning. It also helped me with my MCAT and allowed me to take some courses that I was genuinely interested for reasons outside of medical school.

Hope this helps :)

Guest UWOMED2005

As well, gross anatomy and physiology will come in quite handy next year when you're covering 1st year curriculum! I did a biochem/micro degree and there were times this year I wish I had more background in anatomy, physiology, and embryology. You don't need those courses for medicine, but they will make things a bit easier in 1st year.

Archived