Premed 101 Forums

Need help with CaRMS/diff year relationship

This problem has probably come up in the past but I was hoping someone who has experienced it could offer some advice.

I'm in my Med1 and my gf is in Med2. We are both in different cities right now but we both are happy in our relationship. We are worried about matching after we graduate since we will be in different years. I know she doesn't want to take a year off to couples match and was wondering if there was anyway to end up in the same city? As of now she likes matching in Vancouver as do I but I'm worried if I decide I like a competitive residency I will be screwed.

So pretty much any advice on what I could do? Thanks a lot, much appreciated.

The best thing to do is wait and see! A lot will depend on where she matches, what you decide to apply to, and (hate to say it) the status of the relationship in 2-4 years from now!

I don't really see any point in worrying about it now because there are many what-ifs. And from your post it doesn't sound to me like either of you are willing to put each other ahead of career choices (waiting out a year, affecting choice of specialty, etc).

If you are going for competitive specialties, it's hard to guarantee a match in the same city without couples matching. However, that is also not a 100% guarantee, as the possibility of unmatch is also there.

People I've known:

- person ahead takes a year off to do a Master's or something else, followed by couples match.

- go through match separately. with luck, they end up in the same city.

- end up in different cities. attempt transfer.

- end up in different cities. long-distance relationship.

Needless to say, some of these options are best pursued by those who are basically engaged/married.

The best thing to do is wait and see! A lot will depend on where she matches, what you decide to apply to, and (hate to say it) the status of the relationship in 2-4 years from now!

I don't really see any point in worrying about it now because there are many what-ifs. And from your post it doesn't sound to me like either of you are willing to put each other ahead of career choices (waiting out a year, affecting choice of specialty, etc).

Thanks for the advice! I just wish I knew what's in store...I hate unknowns lol. I just don't know if I could do a LD relationship for 8 total years. Aka I really need to mach in the same city.

If you are going for competitive specialties, it's hard to guarantee a match in the same city without couples matching. However, that is also not a 100% guarantee, as the possibility of unmatch is also there.

People I've known:

- person ahead takes a year off to do a Master's or something else, followed by couples match.

- go through match separately. with luck, they end up in the same city.

- end up in different cities. attempt transfer.

- end up in different cities. long-distance relationship.

Needless to say, some of these options are best pursued by those who are basically engaged/married.

Thanks a lot!

Archived