Premed 101 Forums

Declining Interviews

japlanet

It is generally considered bad form to decline an interview? Scheduling issues are one thing, but what if you simply decide at this point that a program would be a last choice and/or you wouldn't rank it, does it make sense to decline rather than spend the time and money to attend? Do you suspect anyone might be offended by it? (Ex. people who you may want to like you later, for fellowships/jobs?)

Thanks for your thoughts.

dont spend money to attend an interview somewhere you wouldn't rank.

Nobody will hold a grudge against you for declining an interview.

Dont take this wrong way, but I'm pretty sure you're not SUCH a desirable candidate that PD's would be offended to the point of remembering your name 5 years later.

Even if you did attend the interview, you could just as easily say that they might be offended by you not matching to their program, should they rank you to match.

Write a polite note thanking them for their consideration in reviewing your application and offering you the interview. Cite financial/family constraints, whichever is true, if it makes you feel better. The main thing is to be prompt, because a last minute cancellation will be viewed negatively.

It's a very small specialty/community. Actually I'm worried that other PDs would find out that I declined the interview and take it to mean that I'm not really interested in the specialty.

What program are you looking forward in canceling can you PM me

Also , send an email explaining your reasons, and why you have financial issues and cant come.

Archived